Create your own skins

This is where you can share and download open skins for Smart Keyboard!
conspirisize
Phone: HTC magic cyanogenmod 5.0.8

Re: Create your own skins

Post by conspirisize »

what do u mean binarybulge fixed what? im going to attempt to make a skin now! :D
conspirisize
Phone: HTC magic cyanogenmod 5.0.8

Post by conspirisize »

k i need help Cyril.. im asking my friend who develops but hes not home right now, so not much help, how do i open up Draw9 in the SDK emulator?
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

Have you managed to install the SDK? If yes, you just need to run the binary <SDK_DIR>/tools/draw9patch (there should be a .bat if you work on Windows), it's not part of the emulator nor of the Eclipse plug-in.
Cyril
onthecouch
Phone: Android 2.1

Post by onthecouch »

Just wondering, when are these custom skins going to be available? (Or are they already, and I just don't know how to get 'em?)
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

They will be available when people make some ;) (you can already try mine and the "best" skin in attachment above)
Cyril
BinaryBulge

Post by BinaryBulge »

conspirisize wrote:what do u mean binarybulge fixed what? im going to attempt to make a skin now! :D
I devised a way to load nine-patch images without requiring the skin to be packaged via the Android SDK. In simple terms: you don't have to download the huge SDK to make a skin. You can just ZIP up some images with a skin.xml, and you're good to go. :)

Cyril: I also think skin.xml should be able to support multiple skins. i.e.:

Code: Select all

<skins>
<skin .../>
<skin .../>
</skins>
That way, multiple skins can be packaged in one ZIP.

Also, perhaps a standard way to allow for non-standard extensions. Like X-headers to HTTP.

I'm excited about the progress here!
zen

Post by zen »

Hello Cyril,

Love this skin feature!

I have one simple item to add to the wishlist: can you add a tag in the skin.xml to have the letters and symbols be displayed in bold/normal? Maybe like,

<font>
<bold>true</bold>
</font>
or,

<fontweight>bold</fontweight>
As for the text on the mod keys (?123, ABC, Next, Go, Alt) it's okay if they stay unchanged. Too little room anyway.

Thanks for the great work.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

OK for the <skins> tag

Yes I can add a tag to change the font to bold, actually it's already supported by the keyboard (for the iPhone skin) so it will be easy
Cyril
Link

Post by Link »

Works great! Just built my first skin and love it. What is going to be the process of posting our creations on your site or in the market?
GlossBlack.png
GlossBlack.png (57.04 KiB) Viewed 7944 times
One issue i have found. Becasue the skins are located on the SDcard, when you mount it to the computer and bring up the keyboard, the skin is gone. Even when you disconnect from the USB it's still gone. You have to set the skin to something else and then back to your custom skin. The app needs to be able to copy it to the phone while it is being choosen or some sort of installation process.

- Link
Last edited by Link on Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Link
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

There is no process at the moment ;) Do you mind attaching it here at the moment?
Cyril