Space Bar & Full Stop (period)

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
Zarch
Phone: HTC Desire 2.2

Space Bar & Full Stop (period)

Post by Zarch »

Doing a search, this appears to be a niggle for a few people, so I thought I'd raise it in its own topic in the right place.

I for one, am constantly hitting "full stop(period)" with my right thumb when going for the space bar. Calibration has helped improve accuracy with most other keys, but it can't help with this problem.

As we have comma (and no long press with it) on the left hand side and full-stop on the right hand side, is there any way that comma and full stop could be merged on the left hand key next to the space and then the space bar extended on the right hand side? The ' is already available as the long press character on C, so we wouldn't be losing anything.

I never used to have this problem on the iPhone, but i've just realised why, there is no , and . either side of the space.

Anyone else having this problem?
Oveja
Phone: Google Nexus One, Android 2.2

Re: Space Bar & Full Stop (period)

Post by Oveja »

Agreed, The "," and "." keys should be removed. ( or given the option)

1. Hitting the spacebar twice gives you a period, which is what most people use anyways.
2. The comma is already listed in the auto suggest above the keyboard, which is where I use it from anyways.

I don't use either key, so why not make an option to get rid of them and make a larger spacebar? :)
teans
Phone: acer liquid 2.1

Post by teans »

While I never hit period instead of space bar, and wonder how it could be possible with a space bar already four letters wide, I have a constant number of occasions hitting enter instead of period. So I second the opinion that it's an awkward place for a dot. Moving it leftside would be quite handy.
I disagree with other gentleman, that dot and comma not needed on main keyboard, always find it lacking using my iPhone.
Oveja
Phone: Google Nexus One, Android 2.2

Post by Oveja »

Which is why I suggested that it be optional... I don't find myself hitting period or comma instead of space either, but I don't use either of those keys, so It would be nice to simplify it and clean up the appearance. I often hit v instead of the second space oddly enough... and then press send before noticing and my messages end up something like "hey how's it going v"... lol probably an error while calibrating..
Zarch

Post by Zarch »

The comma and full stop too useful to remove them, hence the suggestion to move them to a combined key on the left hand side.

I find it curious that the ' key is duplicated though.......

For me, an extended space bar to the right hand side would be an absolute winner. :D :D
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

OK it seems to be a popular topic, and as it's almost Christmas, you can test this new option ("Large space bar") in the latest beta! I tested it in QWERTY, Compact, T9 (with or without Next key), in portrait, landscape, with or without language key (so hopefully all the possible layout combinations)

Here is how it looks like when the is no language key:
Attachments
device.png
device.png (47.12 KiB) Viewed 6693 times
Cyril
bagou01

Post by bagou01 »

any idea when this will be released?
Zarch

Post by Zarch »

Cyril, where should I see the new space bar option? I can't see it in that beta.

Also, could you add a line with the version number to the opening settings page so we are sure to be running the correct version.?

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
bagou01

Post by bagou01 »

same here, can't find that option...
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

Ooops, I'm stupid, I uploaded the wrong version... Try again the same link, it should work now!
Cyril