the "smart dictionary" feature rarely works

You can post your bug reports here. Please include at least the app version and your phone, and any useful information.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: the "smart dictionary" feature rarely works

Post by cyril »

efindley wrote:I came on these forums looking for an answer to this exact question. I type "it's" twice as much as I type "its" (according to the database), but it always makes "its" the first priority. Kind of annoying, but I wasn't sure I was understanding exactly how this feature was supposed to work. I use the full qwerty keyboard. I did just turn the smart dictionary off and then back on again to see if that will make a difference. Time will tell.
As I explained here, "its" will never be replaced by "it's" by the smart dictionary, as "its" is a valid word. Use a custom autotext if you want to replace "its" by "it's" permanently
Cyril
efindley

Post by efindley »

Ah...okay. I misunderstood how custom autotext worked. I thought it would be like a macro and automatically replace something every time. But now I see it uses the suggestion bar just like the built in dictionary! Yay! Thanks! Sheesh...I have been missing out on a great customization tool! :roll: Thanks for being willing to explain things multiple times. :oops:
chtamina

Post by chtamina »

cyril i sent you a video four or five days ago where the word "Carlo" wasn't replaced with the word "carlo" although this last one was the most used, did you take a look at it?
that was just an example, because this seems to happen with a lot of words.

thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

Well, it's normal as the smart dictionary is not case sensitive. Let's say it's a missing feature ;)
Cyril
chtamina

Post by chtamina »

so the smart dictionary prioritizes the word in its own dictionary over the custom words and it's not case sensitive. got it, thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
tmiv44
Phone: HTC Thunderbolt

Post by tmiv44 »

cyril wrote: As I explained here, "its" will never be replaced by "it's" by the smart dictionary, as "its" is a valid word. Use a custom autotext if you want to replace "its" by "it's" permanently
I use the Letter 'C' associated with the apostrophe as a trigger for Auto-text.
so when I type: "itcs" becomes "it's" and "icll" becomes "I'll" and "hecll" becomes "he'll" and "shecll" becomes "she'll"
It is kind of like a carry over from T9, where I type the key associated with the apostrophe, or any punctuation I want, and it just knows I want the punctuation not the letter. It works great with cardinal numbers too. like below:
qst ==> 1st
wnd ==> 2nd
erd ==> 3rd
rth ==> 4th
and so on... (although, 1st and 2nd are the only ones i really use that much)

-Tm