problem using the apostrophe in certain words

For anything else related to Smart Keyboard
woopypants
Phone: xperia x10 android 2.1

problem using the apostrophe in certain words

Post by woopypants »

Hello, I love this keyboard but and am having trouble with 2 things...

1. while in t9 mode, if I want to type the word "fog's" it comes up as "dog's". When I try to type the word 'fog' it comes up as dog, so I press the arrow button next on the right of the space bar so the word 'fog' is chosen, then I type the ' button and then the letter s, and it keeps changing fog back to dog! Can u please help me with this?

2. Also, when I type the word hello, the first word that appears in the suggestion bar is 'gdjjm' is there a way to remove this word as I know I will never use it and it takes up room on my screen?

thanks
NickC
Phone: Samsung Captivate Android 2.1

Re: problem using the apostrophe in certain words

Post by NickC »

1. Have you tried adding fog's to the User Dictionary?

2. Check the User Dictionary for the word gdjjm. It's possible you accidentally entered that jumble of letters as a word to the User Dictionary while typing fast or something. I've done that - especially if I have Learn New Words enabled.
woopypants
Phone: xperia x10 android 2.1

Post by woopypants »

hi nick, thanks for your reply.

i was just using the words "fog's" and "hello" as an example.

as for problem number one, i could be typing anyword and then when i want to add the "'s" (after selecting the word from the suggestion bar which is not the first suggested word) and as soon has i press apostrophe and s, it reverts the word back to the first suggested word. so there is not really any point to adding 'fog's to the dictionary as i rarely use that word, it was just one i was using as an example, and i was hoping there was an easier way of doing it rather than adding it to the user dictionary.

and with problem number 2, i tried turning off 'learn new words' as i thought it might get rid of the suggestion to the left of the first highlighted word in the suggestion bar, but its still there. i dont know if i have explained it properly but when u type the word EXAMPLE, do u get the letters DWAMPJD displayed to the left in the suggestion bar? i would like to know if there is somehow i can remove that first weird suggested word.

anyway thanks for replying to my question :D
silverspear
Phone: HTC Desire - 2.2

Post by silverspear »

I agree with the thread starter. there are many words that sometimes uses the apostrophe and "s" along with it. For me i use it often with names. And i encounter this problem as well.

for eg: i have a friend whose name is "Andrielle". it's a custom name, so whenever i type the apostrophe after this name, the whole entry reverts to "Amdpgdjjd' ". quite frustrating.
NickC
Phone: Samsung Captivate Android 2.1

Post by NickC »

I see what you are saying. Pressing the apostrophe or dash changes the word to whatever is on the left, even though that is not the default auto-corrected word.
chtamina

Post by chtamina »

+1

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
tonyzman
Phone: HTC EVO 4G, 2.2

Post by tonyzman »

Same issue, and same question as the thread starter.
tmiv44
Phone: HTC Thunderbolt

Post by tmiv44 »

An easy solution is to just turn the phone and go into full Qwerty mode when you're typing a complex word. another option is to type the name/word, press space then backspace, then 's. when you backspace into a word it turns off the auto-suggest. I know those aren't solutions to the problem, but a good work around.

-Tm