Smart Dictionary

For anything else related to Smart Keyboard
NickC
Phone: Samsung Captivate Android 2.1

Re: Smart Dictionary

Post by NickC »

Any further info on this? I have 3.13.0 and am having the same trouble with frequency of words. I have Smart Dictionary enabled, which is supposed to learn frequency of words. But for example, I type in the word "days" yet it keeps defaulting to "data" no matter how many times I do it.
mightymaus
Phone: HTC Desire 2.2

Post by mightymaus »

On a related note, I keep mistyping ,"for" as "fir" - not sure how it works now but it would be great if it could somehow register that I consistently take the second suggestion of "for" and start giving that priority.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

NickC wrote:Any further info on this? I have 3.13.0 and am having the same trouble with frequency of words. I have Smart Dictionary enabled, which is supposed to learn frequency of words. But for example, I type in the word "days" yet it keeps defaulting to "data" no matter how many times I do it.
Well, "days" is in the English dictionary so I don't see how it could default to something else (with or without smart dictionary)
On a related note, I keep mistyping ,"for" as "fir" - not sure how it works now but it would be great if it could somehow register that I consistently take the second suggestion of "for" and start giving that priority.
Use a custom autotext to replace "fir" by "for", that's explained in the user's guide
Cyril
mightymaus
Phone: HTC Desire 2.2

Post by mightymaus »

Excellent, thanks cyril. I missed that that's one of the intentions for that feature, didn't think of it.
dan55

Post by dan55 »

just added that one myself :-)
NickC

Post by NickC »

cyril wrote:Well, "days" is in the English dictionary so I don't see how it could default to something else (with or without smart dictionary)
Maybe I'm not understanding the role of Smart Dictionary. Yes, both "days" and "data" are in the English dictionary. But I thought the Smart Dictionary feature meant that if you choose "days" most of the time, then that's what the default suggestion would be. However, it seems like no matter how many times I choose "days" - "data" comes up as the default choice.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

The smart dictionary records word frequency to improve predictions, BUT if you type a word that is in the dictionary, it never suggests something else (it does this only if you mistype a word, or in compact / T9 mode), which would be very intrusive. Imagine you often need to type "for" AND "fir", would you like the dictionary to replace "fir" by "for" whereas you actually wanted to type "fir"?
Cyril
NickC

Post by NickC »

To be honest, yes, I think that would be a useful feature. Not to *replace* one word with the other in the dictionary but change which word is the default choice (that gets selected if you just accept autocorrect).

Going back to my example, in the compact QWERTY, the keystrokes are the same for the words "data" and "days" - both words are in the dictionary however "data" is always the default. If a person wants to type "days" more often than "data" - they still get the choice to select "days" but it doesn't get selected by default - you have to remember to select the word in the list else it autocorrects to "data" (I realize we can turn off autocorrect but it is a great feature! :) )

If the default choice was changed based on frequency (what I interpreted as "Smart Dictionary"), then the way I thought would be nice is that as I select "days" more often than the default choice of "data" - then "days" would become the default. "Data" would still be in the dictionary; however, I would have to select that. If for whatever reason I start manually selecting "data" - then it would eventually revert back to being the default choice.

Not to beat this to death - this is still the best keyboard app I've used! :) Just wanted to clarify because I find this happens more than just between "data" and "days" - e.g., I type in the word "see" very often yet the default choice for that keystroke is always "are" etc.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

I didn't think you were talking about compact mode.
The smart dictionary is precisely more useful in compact (or T9) mode, and in your example, if you type "days" more often than "data", "days" will be the default suggestion. I just did a test with "days", and "see", and the smart dictionary works as expected. If you don't believe me, backup your settings, uninstall / reinstall the keyboard to reset the smart dictionary, and try again, you will see.
Cyril
NickC

Post by NickC »

Oh, okay, that's great - I misunderstood and thought you were saying that it doesn't do that. Very glad to hear it's supposed to change the default suggestion in compact mode. I'll try your suggestion. Maybe I mistakenly accepted words like "data" so often before going back & correcting that internally it's logged more instances and thus keeps defaulting to that.

EDIT: There must have been some glitch in my install. After reading your response, I repeatedly forced the words "days" and "see" yet it kept defaulting to "data" and "are" no matter how many times I tried. I also played tried typing in other pairs to see if I could get SKP to switch based on frequency but it didn't work. So I took your advice - just backed up settings, uninstalled & reinstalled, and then restored settings. Happy to report it seems to be working now! :)