Compact KB Layout

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
mazz0310
Phone: Droid

Compact KB Layout

Post by mazz0310 »

Is it possible for you to offer an alternate layout for this keyboard? I love the compact keyboard (reminds me of the only good thing about the BB Storm) but everytime I go to press "a" I hit the XT9 key. It's oftly frustrating. Would it be possible to move the keys to under the keyboard? (on the sides of the spacebar)
lol

Re: Compact KB Layout

Post by lol »

Agreed!

Moving those keys to the bottom would also help widen the keys = even better typing experience!
Sally Mack
Phone: HTC Desire Froyo

Post by Sally Mack »

I have to agree with the above post... in fact, with the xt9 key in the way, the keyboard is not symmetrical. That has to be the MOST counter-intuitive thing I've ever seen on any keyboard.

I think rim got it right with the storm "suretype" keypad. Imo, the compact keyboard should be modelled after this. Symetrical buttons which are all the same size.

Can this be done with skins, or does it have to be hard-coded into the keyboard?

Also, as a slight workaround for the problem of switching xt9 on/off while typing quickly, a good idea would be to have a setting where we could indicate the tap-length to activate this button (therefore a quick tap wouldnt activate/deactivate the predictive nature of the keyboarD). I've seen it on some other 3rd party keyboards, and it seems to do the trick. Again, this should be considered a workaround, not a solution.

Thanks for your time reading this long-winded post. ;)
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

No it cannot be a skin, it has to be hardcoded, and what is more, for every language (you know, English QWERTY is not the reference for everyone in the world ;) )
I think you find it counter intuitive because you are used to the BB layout but other people like the HTC layout (the one used in Smart Keyboard) better, especially because many people like and want a big space bar (you don't imagine how many emails I received asking to increase the size of the space bar, even when it's impossible)
So for sure it would need to be a new layout, I cannot change the current one.
Adding this layout for English (QWERTY) could be done quickly, but a clean implementation for all languages will require more time. If people vote for it I can do it of course ;)
Cyril
Sally Mack
Phone: HTC Desire Froyo

Post by Sally Mack »

You mean English isn't the only language? ;)

I see your point about implementation, I assumed only English had a compact option.

I'll still vote for the English suretype style keyboard, but in the meantime, would you consider the workaroundfor the accidental tapping of the xt9 key?

Also, where would we vote? (Apologies for all the questions)
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

People can vote in this topic ;)
I'll check if something can be done for the T9 key when I have some time
Cyril
mazz0310

Post by mazz0310 »

Sally Mack wrote:I have to agree with the above post... in fact, with the xt9 key in the way, the keyboard is not symmetrical. That has to be the MOST counter-intuitive thing I've ever seen on any keyboard.

I think rim got it right with the storm "suretype" keypad. Imo, the compact keyboard should be modelled after this. Symetrical buttons which are all the same size.

Can this be done with skins, or does it have to be hard-coded into the keyboard?

Also, as a slight workaround for the problem of switching xt9 on/off while typing quickly, a good idea would be to have a setting where we could indicate the tap-length to activate this button (therefore a quick tap wouldnt activate/deactivate the predictive nature of the keyboarD). I've seen it on some other 3rd party keyboards, and it seems to do the trick. Again, this should be considered a workaround, not a solution.

Thanks for your time reading this long-winded post. ;)
Agreed, I LOVE the blackberry storm KB, I constantly find myself typing as if I still have it even though I haven't used it for almost 2 years.
Mandark
Phone: HTC Legend, Android 2.1

Post by Mandark »

Should this topic, perhaps, be merged with the other one?
mazz0310

Post by mazz0310 »

The other thread kind of took off, this doesn't really need to be merged considering the layout has already been fixed.
Mandark
Phone: HTC Legend, Android 2.1

Post by Mandark »

Hm, let say "changed" instead of fixed? :)

I just thought that there were some nice ideas here, basically on the same subject, and that not all of the people posting on the other thread saw them...