PLEASE add option to Show Arrows on Main Keyboard

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
imjehh
Phone: Droid 2.3.2

Re: PLEASE add option to Show Arrows on Main Keyboard

Post by imjehh »

Yes, please add this feature, it would make smart keyboard pro so much better!
cenozoite
Phone: Dell Streak

Post by cenozoite »

OldDogEyes wrote:One question that I have for you is, why didn't the auto-suggest catch your typo? If you are using English and haven't installed the separate file that is needed, you won't get auto-suggest functionality. Also, if you've mistyped a word the same way before and it got added into your user dictionary, then that's preventing the auto-suggest from working. Check your user dictionary and prune out typo's... And you need to make sure that you don't have auto-suggest disabled in the settings...
To be honest, the first thing I do on any device keyboard settings (physical or virtual) is disable all the text prediction, suggestion, auto-correction, dictionary type features etc. I guess I am just old school but I don't like my device or keyboard trying to think for me or modify what I type. I prefer to be in control of what I type, catch my own mistakes, and correct them manually, just like on a regular computer keyboard. Anyway though, fixing a typo was just an example of where arrow keys would come in handy. There are lots of times one wants to go back and edit something, even when there wasn't a mistake. Easily accessible arrow keys are needed for a full typing experience.
hannsoft

Post by hannsoft »

Just thought I'd chime in with a hearty PLEASE to this request! I just went from Eris to Thunderbolt, and the lack of the ability to do this when using my beloved Smart KB (used to have the trackball, but no more) is kinda like missing a limb: I'll get there .. but it won't be easy. ;-)

Many thanks!
BozQ
Phone: Motorola Milestone (and HTC Dream/G1)

Post by BozQ »

Me in for this option too!
Either at the bottom, like the HTC keyboard, or the top suggestion bar.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

It will be in the next version.
Cyril
AndroidUser

Post by AndroidUser »

Wow!! Thank you very much Cyril... Amazing!!
When this comes I'll gladly spam the forums where I'm active about your wonderful keyboard.

Thanks again... I can hardly wait!! Any idea of when this might be available?

Brgds...
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

There are still some problems to solve but the beta will be available soon. The official version will be later as I already released a version this week, and this would be too much.
Cyril
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

I know you are all impatient so here is a preview of this new feature (just called "Show arrows") in the latest beta. Only portrait mode is supported at the moment, landscape will come later. Anyway you can already give your feedbacks ;)
Cyril
AndroidUser

Post by AndroidUser »

Thanks a lot for posting the beta Cyril!! It looks great!! Here's a screenshot of it with a Swedish layout. The arrow buttons works very well.

I've sent SMS with it and used it in many applications and I haven't found any bugs yet. I'm very happy right now!

Make sure you advertise this new function on Market when done. I think this is the only keyboard available on Market that can show both arrows and national keyboards at the same time! The other keyboard mentioned in this thread could display arrows but didn't give you extra buttons for national letters (in my case: å ä ö)

Brgds...
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Arrows in landscape mode are now supported as well. Same link as before.
Attachments
device.png
device.png (63.26 KiB) Viewed 6949 times
Cyril