PLEASE add option to Show Arrows on Main Keyboard

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
AndroidUser

PLEASE add option to Show Arrows on Main Keyboard

Post by AndroidUser »

Hello Dexilog

Could you please please please please please please add an option to Show Arrows on Bottom Row!!! Please please!!

Similar to this HTC keyboard...

Best regards...
Last edited by AndroidUser on Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nicky041192
Phone: HTC Wildfire Official 2.2

Re: PLEASE add option to Show Arrows on Bottom Row

Post by nicky041192 »

+1
woopypants
Phone: xperia x10 android 2.1

Post by woopypants »

what a great idea! cyril could u please add that to the t9 keyboard to?

i dont know if this will help or not, but i have my keyboard set so that when i swipe my finger upwards, it displays the arrow keypad (its a bit easier than flicking thru the different keyboards to access the arrows)
AndroidUser

Post by AndroidUser »

I have it set the same way... swiping downwards will switch to the arrow keypad, but I think it would be much better to have a row with arrows at the bottom.

Best regards...
woopypants
Phone: xperia x10 android 2.1

Post by woopypants »

yeah well there is an option to increase the padding at the bottom of the screen, so hopefully the arrows could get squeezed in there even?
AndroidUser

Post by AndroidUser »

I just realized I forgot to post the landscape keyboard... here you go.

So I guess the option should be called Show Arrows on Main Keyboard.

Best regards...
cenozoite
Phone: Dell Streak

Re: PLEASE add option to Show Arrows on Main Keyboard

Post by cenozoite »

Yes PLEASE add this feature, it is by far the number one thing needed to allow Smart Keyboard Pro to become a full hardware keyboard replacement! At the moment having to swipe or hit buttons to access the arrow keypad is just not convenient enough to facilitate frequent text editing. Arrow keys along top or bottom row, above or below main keyboard please! :)

By the way, which HTC keyboard is that in the screenshot? Is it Android or Windows Mobile..??
AndroidUser

Post by AndroidUser »

cenozoite wrote:Yes PLEASE add this feature, it is by far the number one thing needed to allow Smart Keyboard Pro to become a full hardware keyboard replacement! At the moment having to swipe or hit buttons to access the arrow keypad is just not convenient enough to facilitate frequent text editing. Arrow keys along top or bottom row, above or below main keyboard please! :)

By the way, which HTC keyboard is that in the screenshot? Is it Android or Windows Mobile..??
I fully agree... the arrows would make a huge difference!!

As you can see the first screenhot is from my review of Smart Keyboard on Market. So the answer to your question is that it's indeed an Android keyboard. :)

Brgds...
cenozoite
Phone: Dell Streak

Post by cenozoite »

AndroidUser wrote:As you can see the first screenhot is from my review of Smart Keyboard on Market. So the answer to your question is that it's indeed an Android keyboard. :)
Brgds...
After checking around I am guessing that screenshot is the default keyboard on the HTC EVO, rather than a third party keyboard. The only similar third party Android keyboard I've seen with arrow keys like those ones is Ultra Keyboard, which implements them pretty much identically to the screenshot shown. On my Dell Streak however, Ultra runs too slowly to allow fast typing, whereas Smart Keyboard Pro runs lightning fast and never misses keystrokes no matter how quickly I type. So adding the arrow keys to SKP would be the ideal solution in my opinion. They are just so completely essential for smooth and fluid text editing/correction.

Currently to correct a typo you must do:

Two taps of 123 button or swipe gesture, to switch to arrow keypad
Move cursor to desired position using arrow keys, and backspace over typo
Tap ABC button or swipe gesture, to switch back to regular qwerty keyboard
Type correct letter to fix typo
Two taps of 123 button or swipe gesture, to switch to arrow keypad
Move cursor back to original position
Tap ABC button or swipe gesture, to switch back to regular qwerty keyboard
Continue typing where you left off...

That is four different times you must switch layouts, in order to correct a typo. With arrow keys on the main layout it would just be:

Move cursor to desired position using arrow keys, and backspace over typo
Type correct letter to fix typo
Move cursor back to original position
Continue typing where you left off...

I know there is already consensus in this thread regarding this.. I am just really hoping the developer realizes the importance of implementing this feature.

Thanks!
OldDogEyes
Phone: HTC Evo/2.2 + Rooted Nook Color/2.1

Post by OldDogEyes »

cenozoite wrote: Currently to correct a typo you must do:
One question that I have for you is, why didn't the auto-suggest catch your typo? If you are using English and haven't installed the separate file that is needed, you won't get auto-suggest functionality. Also, if you've mistyped a word the same way before and it got added into your user dictionary, then that's preventing the auto-suggest from working. Check your user dictionary and prune out typo's... And you need to make sure that you don't have auto-suggest disabled in the settings...

While I agree with you that there are a lot of steps to fix a typo, the auto-suggest feature often helps me to avoid them if I keep my user dictionary cleaned up.

Let me know what you find...
Thanks,
Doug