Keep numeric option

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
yvon
Phone: HTC Hero

Keep numeric option

Post by yvon »

Hello,

I'm a fresh user of Smart Keyboard, which have a few advantages over HTC Touch Input. The first BIG advantage it the ability to turn off autocompletion on "space" key press, that is really annoying when trying to enter words that are *NOT* in the dictionnary. In fact, I've bought Smart Keyboard just for that !!

However, there is something that still drives me mad (it's the same with HTc Touch): when entering a number, a hit on space revert to keyboard to letters. So entering phone numbers with spaces in it is a nightmare.

Could there be an option to turn that feature off, e.g. when number is choosen, it keeps that way until letters are manually choosen.

Thanks for your help
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Keep numeric option

Post by cyril »

Hi
actually when you enter phone numbers you are supposed to switch to the numeric view, and in that case this feature is disabled. But if you want it to be a global option I can add it
Cyril
yvon
Phone: HTC Hero

Post by yvon »

Hi,

What do you mean by "switch to numeric view" ? Is that something linked to the data type of the text field ?

I just enter phone number everywhere, in notes, calendar entry, etc...not only in fields that are "phone numbers". And sometimes it is not phone numbers, but basically having a white space between numbers is not that odd, is it ??

Thanks to add that as an option, this is really a pain in the .ss for me !!
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

yes some fields are numeric, and in that case the keyboard can know it and stay in numeric mode.
But it can be an option to have this behavior even for normal text fields
Cyril
PapaAcorn
Phone: HTC Sprint Hero, 2.1

Post by PapaAcorn »

Cyril, I would LOVE this option. In fact, it's one of the main things I miss from ShapeWriter where the only layout for number input is the numpad layout. That layout made entering phone numbers and appointment times incredibly fast and easy.

I'd also like to add that making this a toggle option for a Gesture would be absolutely fabulous! :D Thanks for your great work!
PapaAcorn
Phone: HTC Sprint Hero, 2.1

Post by PapaAcorn »

By the way, this is a different feature request, but it's very related to this topic. Can you add a colon symbol to this numeric layout? That way, times like 7:30 or 5:35 can easily be entered. If you don't want to get rid of one of the existing symbols, then how about adding a long-press to one or more of the buttons in the numeric layout?

Thanks for your time and consideration.
WolfgangK
Phone: Sony Ericcsion XPeria X10i, 1.6

Post by WolfgangK »

I would like that, too. (Both, the numeric option and the :.)