Selecting text with arrows when shift is locked, clipboard?

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
patches11
Phone: Droid 1, PEv6

Selecting text with arrows when shift is locked, clipboard?

Post by patches11 »

Even with gingerbread, Android still lacks a competent text selection mechanism (mostly due to how difficult it is to start). Despite having a hardware keyboard, I never use it anymore because of how awesome SKP is, but I occasionally still need to resort to using it for text selection and cut/copy/paste (menu + x, c, or v).

I propose the following possible solution. Add a feature to SKP where if you enter shift lock mode, and then either perform an arrow key gesture or press an arrow button (without first typing any letters - if you've already typed, odds are that you mean to correct a mistake), it selects text and replaces the keyboard with actions like cut, copy, paste, select all, select to start or end of line (not necessary, but would be nice), delete selected (very important! Keep the backspace key visible in the same location), and cancel (which would also hide/cancel the selection). Perhaps also add the clipboard mode to the default cycle when pressing 123, so that the feature is more easily found (and of course allow removing it while keeping the shift lock activation enabled).
tmiv44
Phone: HTC Thunderbolt

Re: Selecting text with arrows when shift is locked, clipboa

Post by tmiv44 »

+1
cenozoite
Phone: Dell Streak

Re: Selecting text with arrows when shift is locked, clipboa

Post by cenozoite »

Definitely, absolutely! Full selection/clipboard operations from within SKP are the next major feature addition needed to lift it to the next level! Currently when I want to do a cut/copy/paste function I have to switch the input method over to Swype or Ultra Keyboard which both have this built in, then switch back to Smart once finished. Being able to select text using the integrated arrow keys would be a fantastic improvement, and its existence in those other two keyboards seems to indicate that it's possible to do...

Fingers crossed it can be added soon and keep SKP the best keyboard out there in the Android world! :)