Qwerty Compact mode for Persian?

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
amintnt
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830, Android 2.2 Fr

Qwerty Compact mode for Persian?

Post by amintnt »

Hi.
Compact mode which is available for English is quite comfortable for one-handed typing. I was wondering if it's possible to create a compact mode for Persian too. By "Compact Mode" I mean a QWERTY compact mode. It would be really great to have such a feature since Persian Alphabetic contains too many letters and placing them all on a vertical screen would make the buttons so small. I myself have to first turn the rotation on and then rotate the phone to have the letters easy to push, which is quite annoying specially when you can't use your both hands at the time. I have a 3.5 Inch Samsung Galaxy Ace which is wide enough, but it makes no good for the small buttons. I would be very grateful if you consider this request.
and also I would gladly help if you need any to make such a feature available.
Thank you :)
amintnt

Re: Qwerty Compact mode for Persian?

Post by amintnt »

Hi again.
Since I believe such a keyboard layout will help a lot of Persian Users I did some searches on the frequency of letters and I came up with the following chart.
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (45.72 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
First I need you to take a look at the layout I'm suggesting:
SC20110830-083734.jpg
SC20110830-083734.jpg (28.65 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
As you see, it's very similar to the Persian Qwerty Keyboard, but some changes are applied and the reason comes as follows:

My idea is to let the areas of letters placed on the Qwerty keyboard remain unchanged, which means if a letter is placed at the top right corner, let it be. What I think would make the keyboard easier to use is to place the letters on a single button in order of frequency usage, which means on the first press the most frequented letter will be typed and pressing a second time shortly after makes the next frequented letter to be typed and the same thing for the third press. I believe it's not needed to place the buttons exactly on the order of a Qwerty alike keyboard since buttons are merged two-in-one or in case of Persian language even three-in-one. If the user is familiar with a Qwerty keyboard, he knows where the hand should go for a required letter, e.g. top left, bottom right or etc. but since it's a mobile screen and not a real keyboard the user needs to spend some time learning the orders placed on a single button; even if the letters on a single button were put on the exact Qwerty form keyboard, the user would have needed to spend the same time learning it. So the frequency thing is just an idea of mine to have the chance pressing the buttons once, not twice or more.

Dear Admin, I'm waiting for your reply.

Thank you
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

Hello
Thanks for your suggestion, in principle it would be indeed better to put letters in frequency order but it may be confusing visually for people who know the full layout.
Moreover, it's not really needed when using the dictionary as in that case the right letter will be picked automatically.
Cyril
amintnt

Post by amintnt »

Thank you for your reply.

I can tell you the XT9 dictionary for a 3x4 layout won't help a lot since I used to use android's most complete Asia dictionary before I started using Smart Keyboard. The reason is you can never look at what is typed on a touchscreen keyboard as you need to look at the keys, and because of the Persian word structures a lot of corrections and word choices are needed to be made. However I can't say the same thing happens for a Qwerty keyboard.

Anyway, it's a bit hard for me to explain myself in English since I'm not a native. But ignoring the Frequency idea of mine, is it possible for the developers to make a Qwerty Compact Mode available for us? and if so, when would it be?

Thank you again.
amintnt

Post by amintnt »

Still waiting for a reply...
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

There are other priorities but it's in the TODO list
Cyril
amintnt

Post by amintnt »

Thank you Cyril. We do hope it's gonna be available very soon :)
amintnt

Post by amintnt »

been a long time since the first post. was wondering if there's been any efforts to implant the request into the new versions?