show selected language

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
hotaru
Phone: htc hero cdma / cm 6 (android 2.2.1)

show selected language

Post by hotaru »

hiding the language selection key is a good idea, but i have one problem with it... there's no quick way to see which language is selected. perhaps an option to show the name of the currently selected language on the spacebar could be added?
anyone may use and modify any smart keyboard skins that i post on this site.
you may distribute those skins or modified versions of them for free.
you may not sell any of my skins or any derivative works of my skins.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: show selected language

Post by cyril »

Hello
When you enable "hide language key", you are supposed to see an icon in the status bar with the language code. If you don't see it, which languages are you using?
Cyril
lentia

Post by lentia »

I don't have hardware keyboard, so i don't need to see what current language is selected. In other words I'd like to disable both notification and language key.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

It's not (only) a matter of hardware keyboard. If there is no language key and no icon in the status bar, how can you know the current language? (it's obvious if you use English and Russian for instance, but not if you use languages with the same keyboard layout).
Cyril
hotaru
Phone: htc hero cdma / cm 6 (android 2.2.1)

Re: Re: show selected language

Post by hotaru »

cyril wrote:Hello
When you enable "hide language key", you are supposed to see an icon in the status bar with the language code. If you don't see it, which languages are you using?
oh... there it is... but it seems to only appear when a text input field is active. it doesn't show up for me in apps like terminal emulators and vnc or rdp clients.

edit: it shows up after switching languages, but if i just hold the menu button to bring up the keyboard and start typing it doesn't show up.
anyone may use and modify any smart keyboard skins that i post on this site.
you may distribute those skins or modified versions of them for free.
you may not sell any of my skins or any derivative works of my skins.
bamthwok
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2, Android 2.3.4

Post by bamthwok »

Hi,

I'm currently using a trial version of Smart Keyboard. First impression is very very good and I most probably will stay with it (and upgrade to full paid version ;) )

However, I find the language symbol in the notification bar very annoying. It even stays there when Smart Keyboard is running in the background. I don't mind to see it as long as I'm really typing but after that it should disappear. But it doesn't in my case.

I would prefer an option in the menu to disable the symbol in the notification bar. In my case I'm using English and German keyboard and I can see from the keyboard layout what language I'm using. So for me it makes perfect sense to disable the notification icon.

Maybe another smart workaround would be to have the option to toggle the notification icon with a swipe gesture.

Hope you can do something about it as I don't want the language symbol in the keyboard either as I prefer a bigger space bar.

Cheers,
bamthwok
bamthwok
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2, Android 2.3.4

Post by bamthwok »

Was this message overlooked? I appreciate a short reply whether the problem of language notification icon can be solved!
Thanks!

bamthwok wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently using a trial version of Smart Keyboard. First impression is very very good and I most probably will stay with it (and upgrade to full paid version ;) )

However, I find the language symbol in the notification bar very annoying. It even stays there when Smart Keyboard is running in the background. I don't mind to see it as long as I'm really typing but after that it should disappear. But it doesn't in my case.

I would prefer an option in the menu to disable the symbol in the notification bar. In my case I'm using English and German keyboard and I can see from the keyboard layout what language I'm using. So for me it makes perfect sense to disable the notification icon.

Maybe another smart workaround would be to have the option to toggle the notification icon with a swipe gesture.

Hope you can do something about it as I don't want the language symbol in the keyboard either as I prefer a bigger space bar.

Cheers,
bamthwok