Harmonization of English and Francais (QWERTY) alignments

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
patrice
Phone: Nexus One

Harmonization of English and Francais (QWERTY) alignments

Post by patrice »

I'm a French Canadian and I often need to switch from French to English. I'm a big fan of Smart Keyboard Pro because it allows me to quickly toggle between languages. Without this feature, I would not have been able to let go my iPhone in favor of Android.

However there is one detail that really annoys me. The English and French (QWERTY) layouts not identical. The second row of the French keyboard has an extra apostrophe ' key on the right hand side. This extra key causes the second row to shift enough to completely confuse my fingers memory.

Smart Keyboard Pro would be perfect for me if the ' key was removed from the Français (QWERTY) layout.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Harmonization of English and Francais (QWERTY) alignments

Post by cyril »

Well, this key was not there at the beginning, but I've been asked to add it !! (which is a good idea for french)
Cyril
patrice

Post by patrice »

In addition to making the layout differs from the English one, the extra key also makes the first and second row completely align in a grid wich does seem right. Note that this key is not present on the iPhone.

I understand that it's hard/impossible to please every one. Any changes of making this configurable, or adding a new layout for French Canadian?
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

Bon j'ai enlevé l'apostrophe sur le QWERTY, en espérant qu'il n'y aura pas d'autre plainte ;)
Cyril
patrice

Post by patrice »

I just installed the upgrade, it's perfect. Amazing product and support. Merci beaucoup!
Kalram
Phone: Xperia Neo

Re: Harmonization of English and Francais (QWERTY) alignment

Post by Kalram »

Bonjour,
Une solution pourrait être de placer l'apostrophe (qui est très utilisée en français) à la place du point, qui s'obtient en tapant deux espaces ?
Ainsi on retrouve un clavier orthogonal sans perdre en fonctionnalité.

Est il possible d'éditer nos propres layout sinon, en se basant sur ceux fournis ?
Ce serait l'idéal pour les utilisateurs exigeants :)

--------

Could you put the apostrophe (') to the right of the space bar, instead of the period which we can obtain by double pressing space?
Thus we would get a perfect orthogonal keyboad without fuctionnality loss.

Is there any way to edit our own layout, from existing ones?

PS : I'm using French AZERTY, but this could suit French QWERTY aswell I guess.