App2SD in android 2.2

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
unzim

App2SD in android 2.2

Post by unzim »

Can you please add app2sd for froyo?

Thanks
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: App2SD in android 2.2

Post by cyril »

What is it supposed to mean for Smart Keyboard?
Cyril
unzim

Post by unzim »

nothing except give a little more space on phone memory moving as much as possible to sd card.
imekul
Phone: Sprint HTC Hero

Post by imekul »

I guess it means it allows SKP to be installed to the SD card instead of the phone's internal memory? I'm not sure, but perhaps developers have to enable their app to be install-to-SD-able.
unzim

Post by unzim »

This is what I ask... nothing more.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Ah ok, I was not aware that I had to do something special to enable this in Froyo (you can already do it if you have a custom ROM, without any modification of the app)
However the android documentation explicitly says that input method engines and services (which smart keyboard is) should not be allowed to be installed on the SD card, as it will cause unexpected behavior.
So I prefer not to enable this option, and let people do this at their own risk by using a custom firmware if they want (I already got a lot of emails from people complaining of issues when using Cyanogen MOD, and these people are supposed to know what they are doing, so I don't even imagine to open this possibility for the "average" user)
Cyril
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

So, starting from version 3.6.0 (you can already try the beta) you will be able to install all the dictionaries (including English) to the SD card. Of course you will loose suggestions if you try to open the keyboard while the SD card is mounted, but hopefully it will not crash ;)
This will also make the main app much smaller as the dictionary the biggest part of the package.
Can someone let me know the results?
Cyril
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Please also note that people who installed the keyboard on the SD card (because their ROM allowed them to do so) may "lose" the keyboard when they restart their phone, because the SD card is not yet ready when the phone is starting. So they have to change the input method again each time the phone is restarted.
Cyril