Possibility to NOT use accent marks in SMS?

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
payaxy
Phone: HTC Desire

Re: Possible to NOT use diacritic marks in SMS - it shortens it!

Post by payaxy »

in my opinion it should be a feature of the messaging app (I think Handcent do this), not of the keyboard
I asked because I know that one keyboard does this (HTC_IME), but I like your keyboard a lot more.

If there is such a feature in Handcent, I didn't find it - I know it's being requested a lot on the Handcent forums.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Possible to NOT use diacritic marks in SMS - it shortens it!

Post by cyril »

Yes I'll try to do something... Give me some time ;)
Cyril
payaxy

Re: Possibility to NOT use accent marks in SMS?

Post by payaxy »

Hello again,

any progress on this issue? Is it somewhere on the roadmap?

Thanks for your replies...
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

It's in the roadmap but I am very busy as you can imagine ;)
Cyril
payaxy

Post by payaxy »

for any Czech guys out there, HandcentSMS added option to remove Czech accents in SMS :)

@cyril: thanks for your prompt responses, I can now use the keyboard fully, so I finally bought the full version....
Son Goku ssj4
Phone: Xperia x10 mini pro u20i ~ 2.1 Eclair

Post by Son Goku ssj4 »

Hi!

I just tried MANY keyboards from many people, htc, super, atd atd but I must tell you, Yours is the BEST from all.
I'm from Czech Rep and I really love your keyboard - don't want to use anything else ever in the future. But as a Czech person, I've got the problem with 160 -> 60 chars because of ours accents ě š č ř ž ý á í é ů.
I see that you know about this issue for a year now so I wanted to ask you if you advanced somewhere.
That would be brilliant.

P.S. for people who will tell me to use HandcentSMS: I'm using GO sms because it's quicker and I like it much more than Handcent.

Edit: I take it back. The app Go Sms (now Go Sms Pro) has the possibility of Local Support for my country :-) So I'm using your app and I'm really happy with it now ^_^
Maybe small "think". I've got Xperia x10 mini Pro and when I write on my hardware keyboard and press the Symbol button (right bottom) there aren't smiles but it's like I hit a Alt key. If that could be modified I'll be really glad and many people too :-)
haldyr

Post by haldyr »

Unfortunately not every sms app has implemented this feature (many users use default android app!). Is this feature still on TODO list?

Thanks very for answer.
PS: Smart Keyboard is awesome, have PRO version of course:-)
cascaval
Phone: Motorola Defy+ with Gingerbread 2.3.5

Post by cascaval »

I've recently installed Smart Keyboard and out of those that I tried it's hands down the best one. However the Czech dictionary using the accented characters simply doesn't suit me as I use non-accented words both in SMSs and emails. Therefore I decided to temporarily solve the problem by populating custom dictionary with all (sic) the words in their non-accented form. It gives solid results when writing using the T9 or compact mode. However, it's far from perfect. Here comes few notes:

1. Word list used - I used a word list that comes with PSPad - the older/smaller version is IMHO based on the dictionary that comes with Mozilla Thunderbird. It contains cca 350000 words. Many of them most of the Czech people have never used and never will. Yet it doesn't contain all the possible forms (declension, conjugation) of some of the common words. The newer/bigger version probably contains all of the words and their forms. There's cca 800000 words and this seems to be a bit too many for Smart Keyboard to handle as there are some lags when typing and the app takes a lot of memory. What we would need is a word list of 10000 commonly used words + all their possible forms. IMHO such a word list is not freely available.

2. Import of the words - Smart Keyboard is not really capable to import such a word list so I simply copied userdic.db and populated the database on my PC. Being no expert on SQLite, I used SQLite Administrator to import the words from a CSV file. It took a couple of hours to import. :roll:

3. Result - as alredy mentioned, the result is quite good for the T9 or compact mode. However, it doesn't give any good results in the full keyboard as the app doesn't know the "weight" of the words and thus it doesn't come up with any good predictions. It probably will once you write a LOT of text but hey then you don't need a wordlist anyway as the app would learn the words itself. The only solution that comes to my mind is to take all the emails that I've written in the past years, parse the words and populate the frequencies table in the userdic.db. I'm not sure I want to spend time doing it.