Possibility to NOT use accent marks in SMS?

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
payaxy
Phone: HTC Desire

Possibility to NOT use accent marks in SMS?

Post by payaxy »

Hi Cyril,

first of all THANKS for you brilliant keyboard. Love it. Really. It is by far the best keyboard I've tried so far.

Now to my request/problem. I'm Czech, so I use your Czech layout quite often, but there is one quite annoying problem while writing SMS with that. If I use Czech layout, my predictive text function switches to Czech, and is suggesting words with diacritic marks, like á, í or ř, the phone automatically switches the encoding of the text to Unicode, instead of plain ASCII. That means that SMS can only be something like 60 characters instead of 160 :(

It is of course possible to not use predictive text, but other then this issue it's working great.

So you see that for us it would be great if your keyboard could actually take the suggested word and replace the special chars with regular ASCII alternative while being in the SMS application, which is the way most people send SMS in Czech Republic anyway since most of the dumb phones do this replacing automatically... I'm not sure if you can detect what application is using the keyboard, I just thought it would be great feature.
Last edited by payaxy on Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Possible to NOT use diacritic marks in SMS - it shortens it!

Post by cyril »

Hi
in my opinion it should be a feature of the messaging app (I think Handcent do this), not of the keyboard.
But yes the keyboard can know what is the current app, however I think it will be difficult for it to know that it's currently writing a SMS (the app is supposed to give this information to the keyboard, but it doesn't work in all apps, for instance not in the HTC messaging app)
I need to think about it... (and I have the same problem in french, where "ç" divides the SMS length by 2...)
Cyril
J.O.D.
Phone: HTC Magic, Android 1.5

Post by J.O.D. »

Hi Cyril,

there is some option in Handcent to remove chars on sending the message, but I am not totally sure how does it work (also the chars counter is still at 70, as the above operation takes place on sending, not while editing, so it's not as user-friendly). If your (BTW: brilliant one) keyboard cannot trust the messaging app to tell whether it's SMSing or else, perhaps you can make the removing of accents toggable and let the user decide? I personally would find the best option to add a new action for gestures, what do you think? Once again, thanks for this great keyboard.
payaxy

Post by payaxy »

in my opinion it should be a feature of the messaging app (I think Handcent do this), not of the keyboard
I asked because I know that one keyboard does this (HTC_IME), but I like your keyboard a lot more.

If there is such a feature in Handcent, I didn't find it - I know it's being requested a lot on the Handcent forums.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Yes I'll try to do something... Give me some time ;)
Cyril
payaxy

Re: Possibility to NOT use accent marks in SMS?

Post by payaxy »

Hello again,

any progress on this issue? Is it somewhere on the roadmap?

Thanks for your replies...
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

It's in the roadmap but I am very busy as you can imagine ;)
Cyril
payaxy

Post by payaxy »

for any Czech guys out there, HandcentSMS added option to remove Czech accents in SMS :)

@cyril: thanks for your prompt responses, I can now use the keyboard fully, so I finally bought the full version....
Son Goku ssj4
Phone: Xperia x10 mini pro u20i ~ 2.1 Eclair

Post by Son Goku ssj4 »

Hi!

I just tried MANY keyboards from many people, htc, super, atd atd but I must tell you, Yours is the BEST from all.
I'm from Czech Rep and I really love your keyboard - don't want to use anything else ever in the future. But as a Czech person, I've got the problem with 160 -> 60 chars because of ours accents ě š č ř ž ý á í é ů.
I see that you know about this issue for a year now so I wanted to ask you if you advanced somewhere.
That would be brilliant.

P.S. for people who will tell me to use HandcentSMS: I'm using GO sms because it's quicker and I like it much more than Handcent.

Edit: I take it back. The app Go Sms (now Go Sms Pro) has the possibility of Local Support for my country :-) So I'm using your app and I'm really happy with it now ^_^
Maybe small "think". I've got Xperia x10 mini Pro and when I write on my hardware keyboard and press the Symbol button (right bottom) there aren't smiles but it's like I hit a Alt key. If that could be modified I'll be really glad and many people too :-)
haldyr

Post by haldyr »

Unfortunately not every sms app has implemented this feature (many users use default android app!). Is this feature still on TODO list?

Thanks very for answer.
PS: Smart Keyboard is awesome, have PRO version of course:-)