Own keyboard layout

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
Hellstorm
Phone: HTC Desire, Android 2.2

Own keyboard layout

Post by Hellstorm »

Hello,

Smart Keyboard offers many keyboards and options, but unfortunately, for some power users or typographic enthusiastics like me, this is not enough.

I use the German keyboard, and for example I miss „ or “ or an own key for ß etc etc.
Because I cannot ask for every feature here (which sometimes gets rejected or is not important enough for everybody), I think it would be best if I could design my own layout in Smart Keyboard.

On Windows, I can do that with the MS Keyboard Layout creator. For Android, I haven’t yet found anything.

A possible solution would be to just create a text file. I don’t know how Smart Keyboard stores the layouts internally, but maybe something like this:

[primary layout, small letters]
row1=1234567890ß
row2=qwe[éèêē€]rtzu[úùûū]i[íìîī]o[óòôō]pü
row3=a[áàâā]sdfghjklöä
row4=SHIFT[link to primary layout, capital letters]yx[„“"]c[’']vbnmDEL

[123 layout]

Just some easy configuration file which you could write on the pc and copy to your sd card would be sufficient. Then everyone who wants to create his own keyboard can do this. You wouldn’t have to write some editor into the program (which would also be nice, though. One could enter these letters with the unicode value on the phone).

Please please please support this :)
amintnt
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830, Android 2.2 Fr

Re: Own keyboard layout

Post by amintnt »

I believe it's the same thing I need. Actually I posted my problem a long time ago, however cyril said they would take it into consider it's not available yet.

The solution you're suggesting is much better I think.

http://www.dexilog.com/smartkeyboard/fo ... f=2&t=1707
Mandark
Phone: HTC Legend, Android 2.1

Post by Mandark »

I would also love to see a custom layput available.
I think it would at least cut down on the number of people (like me), pestering cyril all the time :)
rcadia
Phone: Motorola Pro+, 2.3.6

Post by rcadia »

I'd also much appreciate this kind of feature. As I mainly use hw keyboard on my Motorola Pro+ device and as the Smart Keyboard layout for symbols absolutely doesn't fit to symbol characters on my device's physical keyboard (typed using Alt), so far this keyboard application is unusable for me.
Is there a chance of either implementing any kind of layout modification is let's say weeks or so or of just providing a fix for Motorola Pro+ device?? Otherwise I'll have to install other product :-( even though I love some of features Smart Keyboard brings to my device.
Thanks in advance.
5huhulalu
Phone: Motorola Pro+

Post by 5huhulalu »

rcadia wrote:I'd also much appreciate this kind of feature. As I mainly use hw keyboard on my Motorola Pro+ device and as the Smart Keyboard layout for symbols absolutely doesn't fit to symbol characters on my device's physical keyboard (typed using Alt), so far this keyboard application is unusable for me.
Is there a chance of either implementing any kind of layout modification is let's say weeks or so or of just providing a fix for Motorola Pro+ device?? Otherwise I'll have to install other product :-( even though I love some of features Smart Keyboard brings to my device.
Thanks in advance.
I also have Motorola Pro+. OK, I have finally found a solution to our problem:

Edit the following file:
/system/usr/keychars/qwerty.kcm.bin

Enjoy