Numbers keyboard, calculator style

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
JR1
Phone: Moto Droid

Re: Numbers keyboard, calculator style

Post by JR1 »

Cyril, sorry, not quite there. A strange thing, when in the numpad, and you hit a key, it then reverts to the ABC keypad. I have found that if I reopen the numpad, it'll usually stay open for awhile.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

Can you give the exact way to reproduce this problem? (sequence of events, application used, etc)
Cyril
JR1

Post by JR1 »

Let me report back. I've seen it in both Docs to Go, spreadsheet, and I think in an app called Calorie Counter. I'll reproduce it in Docs to Go and detail it here.
JR1

Post by JR1 »

Pretty easy to duplicate. It's only in Docs to Go, by the way. Open a spreadsheet, click on a cell, click on the edit box at the top of the screen. There are actually two separate issues. One is that when you're done editing, and hit the return key, it reverts to the ABC screen, when it really should remain in numeric mode here. The other is a bug. At times, I'll enter one digit, and it will immediately switch to ABC. Other times, I'll get 2 or 3 digits entered, and it'll revert to ABC. That is while you're still editing the one cell. (It's as if it expected you'd only want to enter a single digit or two and then want to go back to abc...)
Thanks,
Jeff
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

Ok so:
1) that's normal, the keyboard cannot guess that you are editing a numeric field (the app could give a hint to the keyboard for that, but it doesn't), so each time you enter a new field, you are in ABC mode by default as usual
2) I couldn't reproduce the problem, but that's probably what you said: the app would stop registering input for the current field, and would somehow reset it
Anyway these are limitations of Docs to Go, I don't see what I could do in the keyboard to avoid that
Cyril
JR1

Post by JR1 »

Thanks for the look.
Jan
Phone: Archos 70 IT tablet

Post by Jan »

cyril wrote:Ok so:
1) that's normal, the keyboard cannot guess that you are editing a numeric field (the app could give a hint to the keyboard for that, but it doesn't), so each time you enter a new field, you are in ABC mode by default as usual
Hello Cyril,
I want to use your SUPER keyboard to enter numeric data on spreadsheet. The "arrow + numeric / calculator" mode is very well designed for that use.
But the problem is allways the return to ABC mode each time you go to a new cell, with Enter key, or by touching the next cell :( . I am sure you can have the answer to this issue.
I would highly appreciate a such improvement in order to choose or not the manually lock of calculator mode, for instance by a Menu option like " Calculator pad manual lock ", then, unlocking could be simply made by pressing again the ABC key...
Considering the present success of Android digital tablets, I suppose that many users would like it...
All the best,