Option to turn the "Dynamic Key Resizing" off.

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
Mandark
Phone: HTC Legend, Android 2.1

Option to turn the "Dynamic Key Resizing" off.

Post by Mandark »

I apologise in advance if there is such an option already, I just can't seem to find it.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Option to turn the "Dynamic Key Resizing" off.

Post by cyril »

There is no such option, why would you need it?
Cyril
Mandark

Post by Mandark »

Well, put simply, because I do not want the keys to be resized :)

I find it quite annoying, as a lot of the words I type are not in any dictionary (remember, a number of languages aren't supported as of yet). I keep missing the button I'm trying to hit, because the keyboard assumes I'll try to hit one of the adjacent ones.

Really, a number of features of the keyboard are really annoying if the user isn't solely typing dicionary words, and, while I definatly understand how they are helpful to those that do, I believe that an option to turn such features off is not too unusual of a request. (especially as the user can't even see the keys beeing resized)
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Of course you can ask to have an option to disable this, but for me it's much more valuable to know WHY you would want this.
I assume your are using English International layout? I can give you a workaround: use a language with no dictionary and the same layout and/or use the "Force latin layout" advanced option to use English International layout or whatever you need

However, for me it's more interesting to add the languages you miss... which ones ?
Cyril
Mandark

Post by Mandark »

As You might have assumed from some of my posts here, I do have quite a bit of annoyances stemming from the language/keyboard/dictionary options I choose.

How about I tell You what I really want, and where I am currently with this. :)

Ok, so, what I want:
Ideally, I'd like to use a QWERTY keyboard with Serbian, my native language's accents.
I'd like to use a combined dictionary of English and Serbian words.
I do not want to use xt9, just multitap, as I believe xt9 with Serbian words is way too difficult to implement properly (a LOT of similar words with a difference of a letter or two)
As there are a large number of similar words between them, I'd also like to be able to turn "Quick Fixes" off, as I feel that an algorithm which won't be more trouble than it's worth is beyond human capabilities :)
However, as I type a number of words in English, I would like to have the capabilities of the English dictionary available to me, so I'd like the keyboard to show me suggestions while I type, but, as I mentioned earlier, whithout automaticaly picking any for me (either via Auto-Complete or Quick-Fixes).
I'd just like to type myself, and occasionally select a longer, or more complicated word from the suggestion box.

What I currently have:
I use English as my dictionary language, in addition to the words the Smart Dictionary option has collected so far from my language.
I have forced Serbian as my keyboard layout.

As far as the Serbian dictionary is concerned, I know You basically need an ordered list of the words, which I do not have.
I assume one could be obtained from HTC's Win mobile devices, some of which have Serbian dictionaries, but I do not have access to any, and cannot help You there :) Perhaps someone @xda-developers could?

Ideally, once I had such a list, my next step would probably be to ask You where the dictionaries are kept on the system, and merge the two (I think You mentioned the location somewhere on the forum, but can't seem to find it now)

Also, if You're interested in hearing my opinion on the whole "Dynamic Resizing" option, I feel that it could indeed be usefull, but only if the user could actually see the change. The way it's implemented now just leeds to too many mis-clicks to be deemed worthy by me (especially since, in my case, It's obviously wrong most of the time as I don't even use a dictionary for most of the words I use)
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Ok... so meanwhile I added the option ;) (available in the beta http://www.dexilog.com/smartkeyboard/be ... beta-2.apk in advanced settings)
Cyril
Mandark

Post by Mandark »

Nice, keep up the good work :)

Seriously, one of the main reasons I chose this keyboard in the sea of other available options is attention You've put to workinkg out the bugs/features with the users. We are thankful :)
fekish
Phone: 0035799347957

Post by fekish »

do we have to have a language dictionary installed in order for the letters to change? Because i never actually noticed this to happen...
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

No, you just need suggestions on.
Read this post to understand how it works (you are not supposed to notice anything, it's invisible)
Cyril
fekish
Phone: 0035799347957

Post by fekish »

ok thanks, i thought that the keys were supposed to get bigger depending on the expectation of the next key... :)