Compact Keyboard

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
Sally Mack
Phone: HTC Desire Froyo

Re: Compact Keyboard

Post by Sally Mack »

cyril wrote:Yes something could be done for the numbers as well...

About the key size, it's of course the same on the first and second row, but is *slightly* smaller (19% instead of 20%) on the third row, but this was on purpose to avoid reducing the shift and delete key too much. Is this really a problem? Otherwise I could reduce the "M" key
It's not a problem, but cosmetically it just doesn't look right. For some reason, this keyboard doesn't "feel" as natural as touchpal. Though I think that might be chalked up to touchpal possibly having larger keys, so naturally it's a bit easier to use.

Is there any way to tighten up the gaps between rows to make up the difference in spacing? If not, i dont think reducing the M key will affect usage or optics too much.

Thanks again for listening!
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

So I reduced the M key in the latest beta, you can see the difference (I prefer the previous version, personally...)
Cyril
boowalley
Phone: EVO 4G Android 2.1

Post by boowalley »

:mrgreen: I Love this new layout. This is exactly what I meant. It feels more comfortable now and not crowded in by that useless left key. Cyril your're the best. Keep up the great work. Now I can delete the other keyboards because the SmartKeyboard Pro has better Voice recognition and word suggestion than the others. I think I'll use only HTC and Smartkeyboard Pro. Swiftkey for some reason slows you down, TouchPal is half-baked and Swype is a gimmick. Yah Hoo !!!! :lol:
boowalley

Post by boowalley »

:?: Food for thought. On the row above the keys where you have the ! ? , @ _ you have a big 'ol empty space. That space could be used for something, something like moving the DEL key up there so that every time I hit the delete key I don't hit the "M" key. Or a launch button for the "123" function. Not just an empty space.Or even the Microphone Icon, ala "Google Search". I'm just sayin :D
Sally Mack
Phone: HTC Desire Froyo

Post by Sally Mack »

boowalley wrote::?: Food for thought. On the row above the keys where you have the ! ? , @ _ you have a big 'ol empty space. That space could be used for something, something like moving the DEL key up there so that every time I hit the delete key I don't hit the "M" key. Or a launch button for the "123" function. Not just an empty space.Or even the Microphone Icon, ala "Google Search". I'm just sayin :D
Good point here.... move the "123" button up top in the suggestion bar, drop the shift key down a row, and you can have full sized "m" and "del" keys.

Also, trying out the new beta with the smaller M key... doesn't feel much different than before, so I think either way works.
boowalley

Post by boowalley »

I'm trying out and also keeping the "beta". Even though it's in "beta", I already like this layout beta than the other one :P
BozQ
Phone: Motorola Milestone (and HTC Dream/G1)

Post by BozQ »

Now this is good stuff. It will be totally awesome to see the same thing happening with the T9 layout too. Using the entire screen width for the keys if possible. Thank you Cyril for all your hard work.
mazz0310
Phone: Droid

Post by mazz0310 »

I'm the one that started the other thread and i have to say thank you so much for listening to your customers and giving us what we asked. Although this will take some getting used to its what we asked for. I personally still like the blackberry storm keyboard but regardless this will definitely do the trick. (That is not complaining, just opinion)

Thanks again.
boowalley

Post by boowalley »

Didn't mean to steal your thunder (mazz0310). I actually saw your thread after I started this post :oops: But you are correct about the developer, he's rare because he actually listens to his customers.
mazz0310
Phone: Droid

Post by mazz0310 »

boowalley wrote:Didn't mean to steal your thunder (mazz0310). I actually saw your thread after I started this post :oops: But you are correct about the developer, he's rare because he actually listens to his customers.
Don't worry about it....all that matters is that the keyboard layout has been greatly improved (which is all I asked for in my thread, the other ppl suggested BlackBerry).

And yes, I've had this app since day one and I love waking up seeing updates because it means it's still being worked on and improved daily.