Compact Keyboard

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
boowalley
Phone: EVO 4G Android 2.1

Re: Compact Keyboard

Post by boowalley »

I concur. I never used the BB Strom compact keyboard but after reading your thread I looked it up on the net. Looks pretty cool.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

As expected some people find the delete key too small with the new layout... I increased it a bit in the latest beta, can you check if it doesn't impact the M key too much? Thanks
Cyril
boowalley

Post by boowalley »

No, Thank you.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

You mean there is no impact or you don't want to check ? ;)
Cyril
boowalley

Post by boowalley »

It's really a non issue. I've checked, you can believe that and so far so good. When I have the problem between the "M" and "delete" key is really when I'm speed typing and not paying attention to the fact that the key is smaller than the other keys. The auto correct is good enough that I don't have to use the delete key that much. But if the delete key were to be moved to the suggestion bar the full sized key would fit with no problem. You gave us the option for the swipe gesture to delete either the last character or the last word. Not complaining, I'm just sayin' ;)
Sally Mack
Phone: HTC Desire Froyo

Post by Sally Mack »

I've used all versions of the revised keyboard, and haven't noticed much of a difference with different sizes used for the M key. Personally, I'd prefer it if the delete key was full sized, and the shift key was moved down (in which case, the bottom row would have to be modified). But overall, I can't complain :)
Mandark
Phone: HTC Legend, Android 2.1

Post by Mandark »

I'm also in favor of giving more attention to the non-letter keys.

Specifically, I'd really like bigger shift and delete keys, and would LOVE the option of removing some of keys I've already assigned to swype actions like the 123..., key, for instance. I also never use the xt9 key, and would love the option of removing it. (I think the idea of moving some of the keys to the suggestion box is awesome, most of these options are not something you'd type in the middle of a word, and it's a perfect way of freeing up space)

As for myself, the ideal layout would be as follows:
-The first two rows would remain reserved for letters.
-The third row would have only the full-sized delete on the far right.
-The fourth row would have the Shift, comma (semicolon as alternate*), space (with maybe an alterante, perhaps long pressing it could give us the xt9/options?), period (colon as an alternate*) and a large(r) new row/next/done/smiley button.

*(there seems to be room for improvemant here, as, currently, I seem to have a discrete comma button, AND comma is the alternate symbol to period, for some reason :) )

I'd like to hear what some of the users think they'd like (I realise MY views are specific) , maybe together we could all make something as close as possible to an ideal layout. :)
mazz0310
Phone: Droid

Post by mazz0310 »

Mandark wrote:I'm also in favor of giving more attention to the non-letter keys.

Specifically, I'd really like bigger shift and delete keys, and would LOVE the option of removing some of keys I've already assigned to swype actions like the 123..., key, for instance. I also never use the xt9 key, and would love the option of removing it. (I think the idea of moving some of the keys to the suggestion box is awesome, most of these options are not something you'd type in the middle of a word, and it's a perfect way of freeing up space)

As for myself, the ideal layout would be as follows:
-The first two rows would remain reserved for letters.
-The third row would have only the full-sized delete on the far right.
-The fourth row would have the Shift, comma (semicolon as alternate*), space (with maybe an alterante, perhaps long pressing it could give us the xt9/options?), period (colon as an alternate*) and a large(r) new row/next/done/smiley button.

*(there seems to be room for improvemant here, as, currently, I seem to have a discrete comma button, AND comma is the alternate symbol to period, for some reason :) )

I'd like to hear what some of the users think they'd like (I realise MY views are specific) , maybe together we could all make something as close as possible to an ideal layout. :)
Unfortunately I disagree, I want the letter keys to be bigger, and all the non letter keys to be smaller (scrunched all together on bottom row)
Mandark

Post by Mandark »

Discussion is always nice :)

I'm not sure if you actually read my layout proposal as, in such a layout, the letters would actually be the same size (the third row would even be wider!).

Do you actually want the shift/delete to be even smaller than they are now (and, why)?
Mandark

Post by Mandark »

Just to be clear, this is what my limited photoshoping skills have produced:

Obviously, some of the buttons I don't use (language, 123, xt9) are missing, and could find their place either on the bottom row, with the option of disabling them (the language button already hides itself if only one language is used, and automatically finds itsealf some room there if needed) or via different options (the suggestion box, long-pressing space/shift, or swype-ing...)

EDIT: Also, I'd like to push for the "@" symbol to find a place on the main view, perhaps instead of "#"?