Space bar swipe for language change.

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
Oveja
Phone: Google Nexus One, Android 2.2

Space bar swipe for language change.

Post by Oveja »

Hey Cyril, I was wondering if you were still planning on implementing the option to swipe the space bar to change language, as is seen on the stock keyboard (2.2). It would free up that little bit of space on the bottom and allow for other keys to be a bit bigger (space bar or 123). You mentioned somewhere that making alterations to the bottom was difficult right now? Is that something that you'll be able to do, or will it take some time? Thanks, Cyril :)
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Space bar swipe for language change.

Post by cyril »

There are some hacks in the stock keyboard to make this space swiping thing work, I'm not sure I want to do the same
However would it be enough to make an option to hide the language button, as you can already swipe to change the language?
Cyril
Oveja

Post by Oveja »

I personally don't like the swipe gesture, you sometimes hit letters, and have to swipe a certain distance and at a certain speed. And if you removed the language key and left it to the gesture then you wouldn't be able to see which language you are in. Changing language with the space bar was one of my favourite features of the 2.2 keyboard. It's not a must have, but I think it would make a lot of people happy and make this keyboard even cooler ;) We appreciate your hard work, Cyril :]
Mandark
Phone: HTC Legend, Android 2.1

Post by Mandark »

I also often have problems swyping.
Would you be happy with changing languages via swyping if the algorithm word more to your liking?
Oveja

Post by Oveja »

Making the swiping better would be beneficial anyways, but the problem with not knowing which language is currently selected still exists... unless it was listed on the space bar? I don't know...I still liked the space bar swipe... just sayin'...