is there a way to move the dot ( . ) ?

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
bagou01

is there a way to move the dot ( . ) ?

Post by bagou01 »

indeed, i don't know if my fingers are that fat, but i press the dot very often (when i don't want to).
and at least once per line, i have to go backwards and erase the dot that appears between words (sometimes 3 or 5 per line).
i'm using smart keyboard for about 1 month now so i think i'm used to it,but that dot thing keeps coming on....
maybe an option to get the space bar larger and keep it pressed to have the dot or comma appear? i mean, we use the space bar very very often, while the dots is simetimes used only once per message, so a larger spacebar with the longpress option to have the dot and comma would be a good idea wouldn't it?

or is it just me and my fat fingers? :p

thanks anyway !

PS: or maybe is it not my fat fingers but an auto completion option that puts the dot ? i don't know, maybe i've missed it...
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: is there a way to move the dot ( . ) ?

Post by cyril »

bagou01 wrote:PS: or maybe is it not my fat fingers but an auto completion option that puts the dot ? i don't know, maybe i've missed it...
By default a period is inserted if you press the space bar twice, try to disable this option (period on double space) to see if the problems comes from that, or from your fingers ;)
Cyril
bagou01

Post by bagou01 »

well it might be a bit of both coz i unchecked the option but keep having dots (less ) sometimes :p
anyway, the larger spacebar idea is still a good one i think.... :roll:
rvschuil
Phone: HTC Desire

Post by rvschuil »

So, i have the same problem as well. This got me wondering, why not make it an option to move it so it's behind the '123' button? (and the comma as well). This would fix the issue for people with bigger fingers. OK, it would require two taps if you want a period, but it's still better than periods all over your message where you don't need them.

Besides.. the iPhone has this too. I owned an iPhone before (and trust me, don't want to go back!), and i never had the issue there.
bagou01

Post by bagou01 »

yes i really think the larger spacebar with the dot as a long press would be an über cool option :)
[SiMON]
Phone: Samsung GT-i5800, Android 1.1 Eclair

Post by [SiMON] »

Hi! French user here having the same problem. I suggest total deletion of the dot button. Instead, having double tap on space bar for the dot, and long press for the comma would be great I think.

Really like to have that thing fixed 'cause this is the only thing that really annoy me with that awesome keyboard!
bagou01

Post by bagou01 »

yeah everytime i write a message i tell myself "please let's hope he does something for that..." and every day almost i check the twitter channel hoping to find a "new release, longer spacebar feature" :p coz i can't stop pushing the damn dot even when concentrating :p
but one remark: i think it would be better to have a long press on the spacebar than a double tap, because when typing quickly i happen to double tap it by mistake too :p
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

Please see this other topic (and by the way this beta version also fixes a bug which caused the dot key to be pressed even if you hit the space bar)
Cyril
bagou01

Post by bagou01 »

ok i'll post there only so you don't have to check two topics for the same reasons ;)
cheers