Custom dictionary thoughts

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
jeffreyangelo
Phone: Droid Eris

Custom dictionary thoughts

Post by jeffreyangelo »

Hi all. So I'm enjoying the new Smartkeyboard that I downloaded yesterday (new user). I like the features and customization that you get with this app. However, I was wondering how or if this app could share the custom dictionary that's already on the phone? If it doesn't, I think that would be a great feature since I've already had my phone for a year and built up quite the custom dictionary. Maybe it's as simple as messing around with some text files in the root, but I'm not so versed.

The 2nd thought I had was adding an "add word" function like you can in the standard keyboard. I like the ability to add words to the custom dictionary on the fly as opposed to having to go to the custom dictionary menu within the settings. Sometimes the word I'm trying to type doesn't always show up. I should mention that I type with the T9 keyboard, so the random/custom words I type are rarely coming up.

Thanks!
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Custom dictionary thoughts

Post by cyril »

Hello
However, I was wondering how or if this app could share the custom dictionary that's already on the phone?
The phone user dictionary is already imported when you start the keyboard for the first time, however it assumes english locale at the moment. Other import methods are in the plan

Code: Select all

The 2nd thought I had was adding an "add word" function like you can in the standard keyboard.
You can add words with long press in the prediction bar, but it's a bit useless for T9. Note that there is a swipe gesture action to show the user dictionary, but improvements for user dictionary edition in T9 mode have been proposed in another topic
Cyril