Force latin layout and Japanese

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
yfscooby

Force latin layout and Japanese

Post by yfscooby »

Hello,

By the name of the parameter, I understand it is intended that forcing the layout is limited to latin language. There may be a valid reason in some/most/all cases, but I don't see why the Japanese keyboard couldn't have his layout changed.

I'd personally like to have the French layout for Japanese too. The only trick I can see apart from changing the letter order is that the long '-' character should be moved to the 3rd line instead of the 2nd one because the 'M' will move from the 3rd to the 2nd.

But maybe is it an easy case and it's difficult to support it because it is not so simple for other layouts?
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Force latin layout and Japanese

Post by cyril »

Hello
Indeed Japanese layout cannot be considered easily as a latin layout for several reasons:
- the ー is indeed specific to Japanese
- the punctuation sign are also specific to the Japanese layout
- but mot importantly the space key has a special configuration so that it can be used to select predictions
So yes it's difficult to support this ;)
Cyril
yfscooby

Re: Force latin layout and Japanese

Post by yfscooby »

I understand the differences in punctuation and keeping the ones specific to Japanese is of course needed.

Maybe I misused the term "layout". I actually mostly thought of "letter order". Maybe it could be an additional feature like "Force letter order on non-latin layouts", just below the "Force latin layout" one?
The idea for me is just to keep the AZERTY order, even in Japanese.