Feature Request: Period, Comma handling when buttons hidden

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
raynerape
Phone: HTC Desire

Feature Request: Period, Comma handling when buttons hidden

Post by raynerape »

Latest version of Smart Keyboard Pro finally allowed hiding of Period and Comma buttons and its a great thing for sloppy typers who mistype Space a lot. But how do we access Period and Comma now? Please implement that when Period is hidden, it's alternative characters are assigned cumulatively to M (so it covers both "." and "?"), and if Comma is hidden, it's alternative characters are assigned cumulatively to Z (so it covers both "," and "!"). Because period and comma are more frequently used than Exclamation and Question Mark, the assigned Period and Comma buttons could become default alternative characters for these buttons.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Feature Request: Period, Comma handling when buttons hid

Post by cyril »

At the moment, comma is added as an alternative character for period if you hide the comma key, and same thing for period key. Of course this does nothing if you hide both, but then you can pick them from the suggestion bar. Adding these symbols as alternative characters for other keys would lead to some problems, so I prefer not to go this way unless it becomes a popular request.
Cyril
eolsgaard
Phone: HTC Droid Indredible

Post by eolsgaard »

Hey Cyril, could ellipses "..." be added in the suggestion bar as default punctuation when the space bar is hit? I only use periods to end sentences, and for ellipses. If I hide the period button, ellipses are a pain to do.

Also, for those of us who have disabled popups (reduces lag), can disabled popups be applied to the suggestion bar too? Currently, if I hit space and then hit "," in the suggestion bar, it shows a little popup for a second. This is extremely nit picky and aesthetic, so please put this at the very bottom of your to-do list, if at all. Even as I'm typing it, I feel like it's a very dumb request.

Thanks!

EDIT: You know, reading people's comments on Android Central (nice feature, btw), it would appear that an easier way to insert periods would be useful. Perhaps allowing "add period" (with no space) to be one of the available options in the gestures menu? People could just swipe right, for example, to add a period when they are doing a website or email address, or whatever. Thoughts?
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

Let's see what is the best idea... Anyway adding a swipe gesture is easy, so I could at least do that
EDIT: You know, reading people's comments on Android Central (nice feature, btw)
Thanks for pointing this out, now I understand better why there is a burst of downloads since yesterday :)
Cyril
Mandark
Phone: HTC Legend, Android 2.1

Post by Mandark »

cyril wrote:At the moment, comma is added as an alternative character for period if you hide the comma key, and same thing for period key.
To be fair, currently comma is the alternative to the period kay one way or the other :)
istaylor
Phone: Moto Droid Froyo 2.2

Post by istaylor »

Thanks for ideas here...I was going to ask for period/comma key to be reversible. I had mic on keyboard, but added a gesture to open speech to text, hid period key, and have the comma/period key (reverse of period/comma key) on my keyboard now, without having to make the spacebar any smaller. Thanks for the great product. I put my 5 *s and good review on the Market. Love your keyboard and your responsiveness to requests/fixes.