Alt Keyboard layout

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
SaKeygo
Phone: HTC Evo 4g

Alt Keyboard layout

Post by SaKeygo »

Alt keyboard layout

I'm not sure how all the different keyboards aređ set up on different android devices. Although, on the HTC keyboard the asdfghjkl row of keys has the alt symbols written:

[a,!][s,@][d,#][f,$][g,%][h,&][j,*][k,?][l,/]

And the zxcvbnm is written

[Z,_][x,"][c,'][v,(][b,)][n,-][m,+]

Not to be too picky, but I kind of prefer it this way. It more closely approximates the order on a laptop/desktop configuration (looking at the 1-9 keys) at the top of a computer. Although Smart Keyboard has the parenthesis in a better place, if your looking at it that way.
My personal preference would be:

[a,!][s,@][d,#][f,$][g,%][h,&][j,*][k,(][l,)]

Actually [g, %, ^] would be better. That way you could have the "^" symbol on the immediate keyboard. The heart would be more appropriate under h (h)eart anyway if you wanted to keep it. Another thing you could do is put alternate currencies along with the $ symbol [d, $, £, €, ¢ ...]. This seems to be a common concern for some people.

And the zxcvbnm would be written:

[Z, : and ;][x,"][c,'][v,?][b,/][n,-][m,+ and =]

[n, - and _] could be for n while your at it. (In case anyone has the punctuation suggestions off)

Regardless of personal preference. I just thinks it makes a better layout due to the closer approximate appearance to the laptop/desktop as stated above.

Note: for anyone who wants easier access to alternate currencies you can use them with autotext word replacements.

The following word: d
Will be replaced by: £

D, £, €, ¢ ..etc.

Multiple entries are possible with the same letter, so you could use all of them with the letter d, or any other letter that you may prefer. Just remember to also do the letter d as a word replacement to prevent the letter d always becoming a currency symbol - if used in isolation with a space bar. Another alternative (if you have suggestions for characters enabled) is to do:

The following word: $
Will be replaced by: £

$, £, €, ¢ ..etc.