Managing the Apostrophe

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
chtamina

Managing the Apostrophe

Post by chtamina »

Smart Keyboard Pro can't understand when I'm using the apostrophe to "split" the article from the word.
Example: "la anima" get "l'anima" (it means "the soul" in italian) with SKP I have two options:

- adding the word "l'anima" to the dictionary.
this means that for each different word I have to add the same word with the article+apostrophe in the dictionary. like "anima" "l'anima" "dell'anima" "sull'anima"

- using " l' " then SPACE then writing the word "anima" so I get "l' anima" (I HAVE to add that annoying space because otherwise SKP thinks that "l'anima" it's a new word.
so when I write I get a lot of "l' anima" "dell' anima" "sull' anima" while I should write "l'anima" "dell'anima" "sull'anima".

now my proposal is: teaching SKP that the word after the apostrophe should be considered as a new word, even if there's no space that separate the word from the article.

Swype does it so I don't think it's hard to implement.

Thanks and please let me know what you think about it

nicola
SaKeygo
Phone: HTC Evo 4g

Re: Managing the Apostrophe

Post by SaKeygo »

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking to do. My guess is that you want ' to work like * as far as predictions go?

Try typing L*anima

There's an option under Text Predictions that you might be able to use. If you look under text prediction settings for "compound suggestions - enable suggestions of compound words (used mostly for German)" this should allow you to do what you are describing a little more easily. The easiest way to do it after enabling "compound suggestions", would be to first type l' - select it from the suggestion bar, then backspace one space to put the cursor next to the l' - then type anima. Anima or any other words should show up in the suggestion bar as usual words.

Note: You will have to select l' from the suggestion bar instead of selecting it by pressing the space bar. Otherwise when you backspace the word highlights again.

Hope this helps.
chtamina

Post by chtamina »

this works but adds a lot of taps to the workflow, I'm asking for something like this (not sure though)
MikaelG wrote:But now in this version, the user dictionary words with "-" are now recognize so if I write «peutetre» (French) it will be «peut-être» VERY GOOD (It wasn't like this in the previous version)

it should split words after the apostrophe
"l'" + "anima" two different words not as one word "l'anima" and it should REMOVE the space after the apostrophe (like it alread does after the comma).

So cyril is it possible to remove the autospace after the apostrophe ? thanks
alcarin
Phone: HTC Desire Z - Android 2.2

Post by alcarin »

chtamina wrote: it should split words after the apostrophe
that's the point!
if we choose the apostrophe, simply stop the word recognition and begin another word after that... this should help.
chtamina

Post by chtamina »

is the dev here?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Travis90
Phone: Motorola Milestone 2.2.1

Post by Travis90 »

chtamina wrote:So cyril is it possible to remove the autospace after the apostrophe ? thanks
Please cyril!!! Help us! Add remove the autospace after the apostrophe!!! It's annoying write...
L
'
then select...
l'
...from prediction bar,
press backspace
and write another word!! :'(
asterisk
Phone: Asus Garmin A10

Post by asterisk »

I'm also for this, that's really annoying to add each time a new word with attached l' to the dictionary or to write l' than accept from the suggestion bar and then write the word
chtamina

Post by chtamina »

i totally agree with you guys, I'd even donate to get it fixed.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

OK I will add an option to consider apostrophe as a word separator. Thanks for your patience :)
Cyril
chtamina

Post by chtamina »

cool,thanks!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk