Add a pre-defined text buttons pad

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
Andrew2zz
Phone: HTC Desire HD

Add a pre-defined text buttons pad

Post by Andrew2zz »

When I used windows mobile, I had Resco software keyboard. There was a feature I really liked called "Fx". In fact it was additional pad with 3x4 buttons, which could be programmed with user-defined text. I used it to remember my password, e-mails, long telnet commands etc. One of the buttons was "ABC" - to return back to main keyboard pad. The rest 11 are progammable. Once you hit one of the 11 buttons, defined text was printed.

If there was a feature like that in smart keyboard, I would certainly buy the pro version.
chtamina

Re: Add a pre-defined text buttons pad

Post by chtamina »

you can do something really similar with autotext feature.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Andrew2zz
Phone: HTC Desire HD

Post by Andrew2zz »

1) The problem is that an autotext feature is only working when you type to android textfield (sorry if my terminology is incorrect).
But if you're typing text to a third-party app, for instance: ConnectBot (ssh/telnet client), PocketCloud (RDP client), LogMeIn (remote control) and so on, autotext suggestions do not pop up.
2) Autotext also doesn't work with password fields.
3) Not always application is able to delete text, that triggers autotext. For example, imagine I type "pass" and expect Smart Keyboard to replace it with "MyPassword123". "pass" should be deleted first. But some terminals instead of deleting add some control characters, then add to that MyPassword123 and all this end up with some mess.

These are strictly professional issues. I keep on hoping for understanding and I'd reeeeally love if such feature was implemented. Please!!
Thanks!
NickC
Phone: Samsung Captivate Android 2.1

Post by NickC »

The user tmiv44 gave me a great suggestion on a different thread: you can edit your smilies and replace some of them with custom auto text. That might come up with a long-press of the Enter key even if the word predictions are not coming up because you're in a non-standard text field. Might want to give that a try.
davidwilsonep
Phone: Verizon HTC Thunderbolt Froyo 2.2

Post by davidwilsonep »

I had a program on my old Palm called Pop! It was a pop-up pick list list of predefined text. It was organized by category. I used it all the time to use an address category a simple database for tracking procedures (I'm a doctor). Would love to have that back in my Android.
cs.sh34

Post by cs.sh34 »

Hi,
first of all: wondeful app!
As Andrew2zz I also come from WindowsMobil and used Resco Keyboard with its "Fx" function. The "smily" solution is working very well for 3rd party entries, but it would be great if the "macros" from AutoText (like %t,..) would also be working here in "smilies"! Than this keyboard would be perfect (for me).
Any chance to get that enabled???
Thanks
(Desire S)
Last edited by cs.sh34 on Mon May 23, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lycox
Phone: HTC HD2 - Android 2.3.3

Post by Lycox »

Well, using the smiley button in first hand seems to be a good idea, but when you're having a text with more than 5 chars it's overlaping the buttons next to it. So, an extra button or my request some time ago (long press on spacebar) would be better. Hope Cyril thinks about it... :roll:
tmiv44
Phone: HTC Thunderbolt

Post by tmiv44 »

NickC wrote:The user tmiv44 gave me a great suggestion on a different thread: you can edit your smilies and replace some of them with custom auto text. That might come up with a long-press of the Enter key even if the word predictions are not coming up because you're in a non-standard text field. Might want to give that a try.
thanks for the reference. also you can do the same thing with the .com button change the fields to be whatever you want. i mean how often does one really type .gov???
cs.sh34

Post by cs.sh34 »

Lycox wrote:...but when you're having a text with more than 5 chars it's overlaping the buttons next to it. So, an extra button or my request some time ago (long press on spacebar) would be better. Hope Cyril thinks about it... :roll:
Smae problem when using the Domain-button! So having smilies, domain (without the button display issue) or an extra button would be it (incl. the possibility to use the auto-macro stuff (e.g. %t...) of cause.
Hope Cyril really thinks about it...

Thanks
(Desire S)
cs.sh34

Post by cs.sh34 »

Cyrill,

any chance on getting predefined text buttons with makro functions (or modified smily button behaviour)?

Thanks