Improved auto-correct

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
Siraris
Phone: Nexus One

Improved auto-correct

Post by Siraris »

Cyril

This is a great keyboard, much better than the stock one on my Nexus. I can type much more accurately, which is a huge plus.

The only downside is that the auto-correct is pretty poor. I will be typing words, pretty common ones, and they will not show up on the list. I will mispell words, and it won't show some pretty common replacements that the stock keyboard shows. Is there any way to fix this? I don't understand why you aren't just using the stock dictionary that comes with the phone.

Aside from that, great show.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Improved auto-correct

Post by cyril »

Hi
can you give precise examples ?
Actually I am already using the "stock" dictionary... it's just that "stock" doesn't mean anything, as the dictionary is not part of Android, it's something added by the constructor for each phone. I don't have (yet) a Nexus one, so I don't know what dictionary Google has put it, otherwise I would use it.
Anyway I was precisely looking for solutions, and for other languages too, as english is not the only language spoken in the world ;-) (though most of SKP users are american - at the moment)
Cyril
Siraris

Post by Siraris »

Well, I'd have to keep track of some more, but as an example:

I typed in vide (to type video) and instead of showing video on the list, which seems like the next logical progression, it showed 3 totally unrelated words (like Lilly???). Now here's the strange part. I didn't finish the word, I went back and deleted it before it completed, and I then typed vide again, and it showed a different set of suggestions. I deleted the 4 letters again, and tried typing again, and now it shows video as the second suggestion when typing vid, where vide didn't even show video on the list.

I'll have to keep an eye out for more.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Hi
I have completely changed the english dictionary in v1.13.0. The word list is much bigger than before, and "vide" now works by the way ;)
Cyril
nick.koutrelakos
Phone: Motorola Droid 2.0.1

Post by nick.koutrelakos »

after updating i was just seeing what words were changed.. almost immediately i typed a sentence with "mom" in it, and it was auto corrected to "moment".. I went back and tried to just type "mom" and it is set to change to "moment" unless i add "mom" to my dictionary. isn't this an example of what we're looking for to be fixed?
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

You will drive me crazy :p
What you describe is precisely a feature... the algorithm auto-suggests the word with the highest priority even if the typed word is already in the dictionary. If I don't do this, "its" will never been autocorrected to "it's", or "wont" will be autocorrected to "wont' (as it's a valid word) instead of "won't".

Do everyone prefer the previous behavior ?

Anyway you can add "mom" to your user dictionary if that's a problem.
Cyril
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Well.. I thought about it again and indeed it's maybe not a good idea to always suggest the word with highest priority. So I found a compromise, and now the word with highest priority is auto-corrected only if that priority is at least twice the one of the typed word. The consequence is that you can now type "mom" again ;)
Cyril
nick.koutrelakos
Phone: Motorola Droid 2.0.1

Post by nick.koutrelakos »

Good! Because I love my mother..
jab123
Phone: nexus one 2.1

Post by jab123 »

not sure if this is the place to put the suggestions but since the latest update, skp seems to want to capitalize The every time. i'm trying to get it to work correctly so i added lowercase the to the user dictionary. anyone else having that problem?
Chris

Post by Chris »

This is a great product and judging by the number of updates over a short period you must be working hard to fix things.

With auto correct on a Nexus One it will capitalize random words mid sentence eg. are to Are.

The white keyboard is ther best skin yet.