User dictionary - batch delete option using checkboxes

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
gamblor77

User dictionary - batch delete option using checkboxes

Post by gamblor77 »

Cyril,
I have checked through the forums and couldn't really find a post that described the enhancement I was looking for. Essentially I think it would be very beneficial to have a batch delete or batch edit mode in the user dictionary. Right now there is only an option to long press and delete each word manually. Even something like what astro file manage has would bw awesomw. Where you have a multi selection mode and it highlights each item you click would be great. Since my fingers sometimes move faster than my eyes I find myself doing weekly manual deletions from the user dictionary and it is very cumbersome.
I normally wouldn't deal with that torture if I had the choice but smart keyboard is the best keyboard I've tried so I'm rolling with it. Lol. Even with better text prediction the batch deletion is most likely going to be a required option in my opinion.
So if this is not a very difficult enhancement and if u would consider implementing it I would be forever greatful.
Cheers.
John.
chtamina

Re: User dictionary - batch delete option using checkboxes

Post by chtamina »

while I totally agree with you you may want to disable automatic learning of new words because you'll end up with a lot of jdhdhsjd-like words. simply long press on a new word to save it to the user dictionary

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

I think this new feature is even better than a batch delete ;)
Cyril
chtamina

Post by chtamina »

cyril wrote:I think this new feature is even better than a batch delete ;)

I agree !
CApaddler
Phone: Nexus One (CyanogenMod 7)

Post by CApaddler »

Still, I think an improved delete method directly inside the phone UI would be really nice. Batch delete would be cool, as well as single word delete for example from the suggestion list. Maybe a long press on an item in the suggestion list SAVES it if the item does not exist, and DELETES it if the item does already exist in the user dictionary?

Would something like this be possible? Or are there better ideas for removing accidentially typed in words? I have so many typos that get added to my user dictionary on a daily basis and I forget about them within a few seconds if I do not delete them immediately, which I rarely do. How can we more easily get rid of these "mistakes" but still enjoy the auto-add feature for the user dictionary?
chtamina

Post by chtamina »

I had to remove the auto-save option because of typos getting saved
CApaddler
Phone: Nexus One (CyanogenMod 7)

Post by CApaddler »

I really like the feature half the time... but the other half, it drives me NUTS. The German dictionary is unfortunately not very complete in my opinion, so for German I really need the autosave option. Especially for commonly used combined words (you can combine many words together to make a single word in German).
brandobean
Phone: epic 4g

Post by brandobean »

I'm frustrated by the fact that the user dictionary doesn't appear to integrate with the rest of Android. When I use a 3rd party application to edit the user dictionary, it only shows the 20 or so words I've added via other android application (which use that shared user dictionary) and ignored those words used/added in smartkeyboard. Could SK use the same common android location?

Also, I agree the auto-learn feature is nearly useless as it learns typos.

Also agree an in-phone batch delete (click on X) or similar would be helpful. Lastly, why does it add words that are already in the main dictionary? Between all the typos and common words ("I" "after" etc) I just deleted the user dictionary and started over. (Hmmm...maybe it's good the dictionary wasn't integrated with Android as it was polluted with typos etc!)