Two ideas: Macros / variables and long-press for caps optio

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
imekul
Phone: Sprint HTC Hero

Two ideas: Macros / variables and long-press for caps optio

Post by imekul »

I have two more ideas for this great app. :D

#1 System-wide macros or variables would be a great add-on for the AutoText feature. For instance, the %t variable would always insert the current time, or the %d variable would insert the date. That way, I can make a timestamp AutoText entry -- say "ttt" turns into "%y %m %d %," which then becomes "2010 03 10 16:00."

I think it would be a great idea to have a handful of date/time variables, such as year, month, day, time -- stuff like that. What do you think of that?

#2 Coming from a BlackBerry, one thing I loved about its keyboard was the ability to long-press any letter to capitalize it. I understand you have the option to swipe up to cap, and that currently the long-press works as an "Alt," but I would love to have the option of perhaps long-pressing for a capitalized letter and then swiping up in order to access the secondary symbol or number.

I think this would be a handy option. Not necessarily to replace the other ability, but it would be nice to have the choice.

Thanks for the app and for taking suggestions!!

- Luke
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Two ideas: Macros / variables and long-press for caps optio

Post by cyril »

Good ideas, it will be somewhere in the todo list ;)
Cyril
imekul

Post by imekul »

Great! Thanks! :mrgreen:
Agrajag
Phone: Droid

Post by Agrajag »

Been pressing for #2 for some time. I'd really like to see the action be optionally swipe down.

Swiping up, at least for me, is less accurate and efficient than swiping down. With TouchPal I can enter phone numbers in a FLASH by down-swiping each key to get to the alternate numbers. Try it. It's amazing how fast you can down-swipe. Your fingernail also doesn't get in the way to lessen the conductivity.
imekul

Post by imekul »

Cyril,

Any update on the possibility of having either of these two options in a future update?

Both would be very handy, I think. As far as the long-press option for caps, I would think that could simply be an option. Perhaps long-press for caps, and slide up for the alt key/number? The macros could help greatly, too, particularly if there were an easy way to enter in dynamic data, like the date and time, or other variables that are available.

Thanks for considering the ideas, and also thank you for the great, great keyboard! It's my favorite. Was the best on the Hero, and now it's the best on the Evo. Keep up the good work!! :D
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Well, no update yet...
Can you put them in the bug tracker so that I don't forget when I have some time?
Thanks
Cyril
imekul

Post by imekul »

Absolutely! :-)

Thanks for taking so many suggestions. One thing I love about the keyboard is its flexibility. I love having so many options!
imekul

Post by imekul »

Just wondering if there's any possibility of getting macros any time soon! I think they would be extremely handy. :-)

I submitted a "bug" report a while ago: http://bugs.smartkeyboardpro.com/view.php?id=89
cyril
Developer

Re: Two ideas: Macros / variables and long-press for caps o

Post by cyril »

It took some time but macros are there in 3.4.0 ;)
Cyril
imekul

Re: Two ideas: Macros / variables and long-press for caps o

Post by imekul »

Any idea when/if we might see the option for long-pressing for caps and swiping up for symbols?

Greeeat keyboard! Now using it on my Epic. :)