remove suggestion bar arrow

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
SaKeygo
Phone: HTC Evo 4g

remove suggestion bar arrow

Post by SaKeygo »

I was wondering if you could remove the suggestion bar arrow that appears at the right and left side of the suggestion bar. You can scroll without it, and usually it just gets in the way of able to see the predictions.
Redvision
Phone: Droid X Froyo

Re: remove suggestion bar arrow

Post by Redvision »

Oh please don't! The buttons are great. It was such a hassle scrolling with Better Keyboard. The buttons are much faster and they hardly take up any room.
SaKeygo

Post by SaKeygo »

I don't mind it too much. Though I can see why other people would like it. Perhaps Cyril could make it optional in the settings. Actually, another thing that might be interesting - is having an option to scroll the suggestion bar with a gesture. Whether you keep the arrow there or not, it could be pretty convenient.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

I guess that's not exactly what you mean, but there is a "next suggestion" gesture to scroll the suggestion bar.
Cyril
chtamina

Post by chtamina »

you CAN scroll the suggestions bar with gestures, it's called "next prediction" in gestures menu

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

That's what I said ;) The only difference with the requested features (I guess) is that you have to swipe twice to start scrolling
Cyril
SaKeygo

Post by SaKeygo »

Put simply, I would like to be able to replace what the arrow does with a gesture. While it is possible to move the bar manually, without the arrow button, the way the arrow button moves the bar seems like it's a lot smoother and less clumsy.
In addition, since the arrow wouldn't be needed with the gesture - there could be an option to remove the arrows from the suggestion bar so you could see more of the suggestions.

As far as using the next key. It will work to scroll one word at a time (the "next" predicted word) - moving the suggestion bar along in the process, while the arrow moves several words at a time. If the word you happen to be looking for is one of the last words on the suggestion list, it would require a fair amount of gestures. If it were the last word, it could require up to 7 or 8 of them. A difference of about 3 or 4 movements with the arrow vs. 8 movements with "next" gesture. Using "next" in this way could require about twice as many movements.

I'm also just wondering if being able to (optionally) remove the arrows, which seem to take up about one prediction of suggestion bar space (for smaller words) and use the gesture in its place, could make better use of screen space. If you use the autotext to replace x with the letters a through k, for example, x shows:
[x, a, b, c, d, e, →]
with the arrow at the end. If I hit the arrow it looks like:
[←, e, f, g, h, i, →]
Since the e is partially covered by the arrow the scroll takes you to e first. Without the arrow, the f would have likely been covered off-screen and looked like:
[x, a, b, c, d, e, f] f partially off-screen.
after scrolling (using gesture), it would have looked like:
[f, g, h, i, j, k] k partially off-screen.
In this example, the "next" gesture would only move from letter to letter.
[x, a, b, c, d, e, f] next
[a, b, c, d, e, f, g] next
[b, c, d, e, f, g, h] etc.
While this is a silly example, hopefully it demonstrates what I mean.

While I don't think not having the arrows vs having the arrows would save as much scrolling through the suggestion bar with the extra space, it would allow seeing more of the words suggested a little more easily the same way you can see more of the letters in the example above.

Another benefit that I think would be beneficial about it (that I mentioned in the other post on this), is that it prevents your thumb from blocking the suggestions, especially in portrait mode.

Regardless, thanks for the input.