autotext and different languages

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
chtamina

autotext and different languages

Post by chtamina »

I think that autotext features should bind to the one language instead of being common for all languages. I write in English and in italian a lot of times and i find myself correcting words because of italian autotext feature during English writing, what do you think about it?
thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: autotext and different languages

Post by cyril »

Yes it can be useful, and the same way, there should be a way to add words to the user dictionary for all languages. The idea is simple, but the implementation is a bit less simple, especially to keep backward compatibility with previous versions of SKP ;)
Cyril
chtamina

Post by chtamina »

aren't previous versions of skp, mostly pirated version of skp ?
I mean if I bought the app i get notified about updates...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

chtamina wrote:aren't previous versions of skp, mostly pirated version of skp ?
:D

Well, first this is not true, many people wait a long time before updating, or don't update at all. And many people didn't buy through Android Market.

Anyway, the problem is not for people who don't update, but precisely for the people who update from a previous version: "backward compatibility" means that their dictionary created with an old version must work with a more recent one (forward compatibility is less important, as people are supposed not to revert to older versions). That's why such changes must be thought carefully.
Cyril