Unnecessary characters in Hungarian layout

You can post your bug reports here. Please include at least the app version and your phone, and any useful information.
celmail
Phone: Atrix 4G

Unnecessary characters in Hungarian layout

Post by celmail »

Hi,

it is not a big deal but still it would be nice if you could fix this in the next release.
The characters 'ë' and 'Ë' are not used in the Hungarian language at all (they are German characters), but they still exist in the Hungarian layout.

thanks,
C.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Unnecessary characters in Hungarian layout

Post by cyril »

I can remove it, but in the first place I think I put it because I saw it on Wikipedia:
Although not part of the alphabet, this symbol is sometimes used to denote the phoneme /e/, e.g. when noting down texts spoken or sung in a dialect where this sound is present.
Cyril
celmail

Post by celmail »

Hi Cyril,

that wikipedia page is really confusing. First of all the, the same page also shows the official Hungarian keyboard layout, which also doesn't have the 'ë' character. On the other hand it has an 'ä' character which similarly to 'ë' is never used in Hungarian. Belive me, I've never seen these characters written in any Hungarian text in my 35 years of life. Not even once.
Actually I've seen a couple of Hungarian users complaninig of this extra character on different discussion forums, so I'm not the only one who noticed that. But the good news is that this is the only problem one could find in the app, and even this one is not a big issue.
Anyway, I think those characters should go.

thanks for this great app,
C.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Fine, anyway I need to make a bugfix release today so I will remove this character at the same time.
Cyril
celmail

Post by celmail »

That would be great.

thanks,
C.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Why "would"? This version is already on the market ;)
Cyril
celmail

Post by celmail »

I haven't realized that there were two versions of the Hungarian layout. I used qwertz and that still has the 'ë'.
Now I switched to qwerty (which I prefer anyway, as I switch between English and Hungarian frequently), and I'm very happy now!
(Although you should consider removing 'ë' from the qwertz as well in a future release just for consistency).

thanks for the quick fix,
Csaba
cyril wrote:Why "would"? This version is already on the market ;)