Touch to replace is buggy

You can post your bug reports here. Please include at least the app version and your phone, and any useful information.
swrobel
Phone: HTC Evo CM7

Touch to replace is buggy

Post by swrobel »

Touch to replace is pretty cool but buggy in some situations. Try the following:

1) Type a word and press space or accept a suggestion
2) Touch that word again to replace
3) Select the replacement
4) Now I would expect to see the usual choice of punctuation, but instead see the same choices
5) Type a space
6) I still see the choice of replacements, and tapping on one enters a new word using the suggestions from the previous word

Weird behavior...
Last edited by swrobel on Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swrobel

Re: Touch to replace is buggy

Post by swrobel »

Still happening in the latest version...
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

This doesn't happen if "space after picking" option is enabled, but indeed otherwise it may happen in some situations. This should be fixed (at least most of the time) in 4.2.0.
Cyril
swrobel

Post by swrobel »

cyril wrote:This doesn't happen if "space after picking" option is enabled, but indeed otherwise it may happen in some situations. This should be fixed (at least most of the time) in 4.2.0.
I just tried on 4.1.2, which I was running, and then on 4.2.0-beta using your link. Both give the same (incorrect, in my opinion) behavior. I have space after picking and touch to correct words enabled. It puts a space after picking the first time, but when tapping on the word again to replace it, it just skips to the end of the word (not past the space).
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

That's on purpose, and works exactly like the Gingerbread keyboard.
However the bug you were talking about in this topic (punctuation suggestions not displayed when space is entered) is supposed to be fixed now.
Cyril
swrobel

Post by swrobel »

Ok well then the gingerbread behavior makes no sense... the other bug is still there.
Lycox
Phone: HTC HD2 - Android 2.3.3

Post by Lycox »

I tried to install the latest beta but after installing the SKP doesn't pop up. Beta from 2011-06-04 maybe 3rd works fine.
serenewaffles

Post by serenewaffles »

This isn't a bug. If it inserted a space after touching to correct a word, you would end up with two spaces between some words. Wasting characters in SMS and reducing readability.
swrobel

Post by swrobel »

It shouldn't insert another space, but it should show the punctuation options instead of the same choices again after you pick. At least that's what makes logical sense to me. Especially if it's the last word in what you've typed and there isn't another word after it, which is the case 95% of the time when I'm doing this since autocorrect picked the wrong word and overwrote what I just typed and I want to fix that.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Indeed, but in that specific case, you can just do a backspace, and then touch to correct will insert a space as you expect.
Cyril