multi touch sometimes doesn't work

You can post your bug reports here. Please include at least the app version and your phone, and any useful information.
jarhead271

multi touch sometimes doesn't work

Post by jarhead271 »

I have noticed that the multi touch functionality does not always work with this keyboard. I have found that if I hit two keys with a certain timing only the second key registers. It doesn't happen all the time; the timing needs to be fairly precise, but it happens enough to be annoying. I find it often happens when typing the word 'going', which often comes up 'goig' because I hit the 'n' and 'g' keys just right to trigger the issue. Also, it happens a lot with words that contain 'ch', where only the 'h' registers. I know the keyboard recognizes both key strokes because the pop-up letters are showing correctly. When I'm trying, I can make the problem occur at least 80% of the time.

I know a video would be the most ideal way to demonstrate the problem, but I don't have the capability to provide that right now.

I'm on moto Droid 2.1

Anyone else noticing this?
Phone: Nexus One

Re: multi touch sometimes doesn't work

Post by avatar5d »

Yeah... http://smartkeyboardpro.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=3&t=33. There are no plans to fix it, from what I can tell -- I reported this over two months ago. It's bad enough for me that I've stopped using Smart Keyboard Pro all together. Shame. :(
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

Shame on Google :p I have still not received my Nexus One, which I need to work on this topic. It will probably need a deep rewriting of the keyboard, but if enough people complain about it, I can do something
Cyril

Post by avatar5d »

Would it be possible to add an option to disable multitouch in phones that support it? That would probably, at least in the short term, address my problem and allow me to start using SKP again.
akdms
Phone: Sprint HTC Hero - Fresh 2.0d

Post by akdms »

I was actually stopping by with the same issue, though I'm using a custom rom (Sprint Hero, Fresh 2.0d) at the moment so I was giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Multitouch works great on the stock HTC keyboard, but not at all (or very rarely) on SKB. I just timed myself, and I can accurately type about 20 wpm faster on the stock keyboard as a result (SKB for me caps at around 30-40 wpm -- after that it just can't keep up, or I start running into issues from not having multitouch).

After a few months of SKB I guess I'm going back to stock.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Guys, the multitouch doesn't work great on the stock keyboard. If you hold a key with one finger, and try to type with another finger, it will not work at all. That's where android fails compared to the iPhone (and where smart keyboard brings improvement). So I just cannot fallback to the weak multitouch algorithm used by the stock keyboard, or it would have to be optional (but I think I already explained that ;) ). But once again I will work on it once I get my N1, it may just need a minor adjustment to the algorithm
Cyril
akdms
Phone: Sprint HTC Hero - Fresh 2.0d

Post by akdms »

It would be awesome if you got SKB working like the iPhone keyboard, but for now at least the stock allows you to press one key, press a second, release the first, release the second, and will record both. For example, when I type the word "the" I usually end up hitting the h and e at almost exactly the same time. With SKB I end up with "te", while with HTC I end up with "the". And honestly, I can't really think of too many times when I would need to hold one key, start typing other keys, and then release the first key, like you can with the iPhone. Besides, I can type MUCH faster on my Hero than I could on my iPhone, or even Blackberry. :P

I look forward to seeing what you do with it once you get the Nexus.

Post by avatar5d »

Guys, the multitouch doesn't work great on the stock keyboard. If you hold a key with one finger, and try to type with another finger, it will not work at all.
Right. I'm asking for an option in the settings Activity that allows users to opt-out of multitouch on devices that support it, so I can use non-multitouch on my Nexus One. :)
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Well, if that's what you want, it's easy ;) Anyway I could add an option to use the stock multitouch algorithm, but it's a bit more work
Cyril

Post by avatar5d »

I think either (or even both) options would be fine. I really like the speed and configuration options of the keyboard, but with the multitouch glitches every 3rd or 4th word or so it's just unusable on the Nexus One. I think being able to disable this functionality would allow me use SKP again.