multi touch sometimes doesn't work

You can post your bug reports here. Please include at least the app version and your phone, and any useful information.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: multi touch sometimes doesn't work

Post by cyril »

I run CM 6 too on Nexus One and have no issues, so at the moment I have no clues why you have problems... anyone else?
Cyril
aamzalag

Post by aamzalag »

Maybe im wrong here. but i remembner in the old version of smart keyboard i could hold shift down, and then click a letter, and thje phone would react as if i had pushed, shitf then k. then lifted both fingers. Now if i do that, i hold a, then click K, it acts as if i havent touched k at all, instead it kjust thinks i am holding A only. this is different than i remember, causeing issues if i type fast, because it thikns im am holding a single key, and not touching one then another.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

For me the "old" behavior still works... have you tried to restart your phone?
Do you see "No multitouch API" in the logs ? (you are not supposed to see it, but it would explain your problem)
Cyril
stimpsonjc
Phone: htc incredible, android 2.1

Post by stimpsonjc »

I type with two fingers on my HTC Incredible (android 2.1).... I hate to say it, but S.K.Pro is now really slowing me down, especially with the latest update.

Problem: It sometimes does not read the two keys when I press two keys rapidly one after the other, with a finger lift between them. I'll try to make a video to show what is happening.

If I OVERLAP the presses, it seems MORE responsive than if i press and release them each individually. It is like multi-touch has taken precedence over NORMAL fast touch. :?

A press-release-press-release sequence should consistently capture both keys, but it does not. This problem existed before too, but it seems worse now. So I end up with LOTS of dropped letters, almost to the point where I can not use it. :cry: :cry: As it is now, the standard keyboard is much more responsive, but I really want to stick with S.K.Pro. Looking forward to the next update!
Last edited by stimpsonjc on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Yes please, because I don't understand what happens to you... the input algorithm has been much improved, so it cannot be worse than before
The only explanations I see are:
1) multitouch doesn't work at all (due to the HTC bug explained many times... you need to restart your phone to make it work). Can you check this?
2) you have performance problems not related to multitouch. Can you reinstall the app completely, leave the smart dictionary disabled, and tell me if it's better?
Cyril
stimpsonjc

Post by stimpsonjc »

I tried to take a video, but my small video camera is not able to capture the picture well.

Here is how I tested it: First, I powered off and on the phone. I turned off "Quick Fixes" and turned off "Smart dictionary" in S.K.Pro. I also turned off correction/prediction/completion options in the standard keyboard.

With S.K.Pro active, in a textbox, I typed LAZY over and over again ,very quickly, but within reason. The L is typed with the right finger, the A , Z, Y with the left finger. Since the left finger is free, the A is typed a tiny fraction of a second after the L . Most of the time, the A is lost, resulting in LZY . Since the left finger is used for Z, it only briefly taps A, but you can clearly see and hear that i am firmy hitting A on target. So, you hear tap tap tap tap (4 taps) every time.

Next I switched to the standard HTC Incredible keyboard, and repeated the test. I consistently get LAZY, not LZY, no matter how fast I try to type it.

I can duplicate this effect typing any word with two separate fingers like this.. It is always the letter under the "new finger" that is lost.

I turned on "show touch points". I am hitting close to the middle of the key, you can see the point on the key.
This may be useful info: The "lost" key is always just a blue dot, while the not-lost keys have red/green ones.

By the way, aside from this problem I am experiencing, I just want to thank you cyril for all the constant maintenance and upgrades you make.
Last edited by stimpsonjc on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
aamzalag

Post by aamzalag »

cyril, how do i get a log for the keyboard? and btw so i am clear, multi touch should make it so i can press multiple keys at one time correct?because now i cant do that, no matter what i push, it is always one key, even if one finger touches m while the other touches a. for example.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

@aamzalag and @stimpsonjc: I really think you completely lost multitouch, which is a HTC specific issue when using a third party keyboard (and not the keyboard's fault... it happens with all third party keyboards)
Usually it works again when you restart your phone, so it's a bit more annoying if even this method doesn't work (as I can do absolutely nothing to fix it, it's a HTC bug)
To get the phone logs, you can install "Log Collector" and use several methods to retrieve the logs (by mail, etc). What you should do is to switch to the stock keyboard, switch back to smart keyboard pro, and immediately after collect the logs with that app. If you see "No multitouch API" in the logs, it will be a clue, but with the "HTC bug", you could lose multitouch even without this log.
Cyril
aamzalag

Post by aamzalag »

I have a moto droid though. I don't think the HTC bug applies for me. Unless because I am running a cyanogen mod, which is made on nexus one, that could be the cause?
stimpsonjc

Post by stimpsonjc »

cyril, I sent you (PM) the LOG from my phone.

I do not think I saw a line about multi touch in the log.

Also, did the image in my last post help?

Please advise. THANKS!