Shift and Ctrl keys don't work on external physical keyboard

You can post your bug reports here. Please include at least the app version and your phone, and any useful information.
happyuser
Phone: Motorola Droid with 2.1

Shift and Ctrl keys don't work on external physical keyboard

Post by happyuser »

I've used SMART Keyboard Pro on my phone for years and it is by far the most powerful keyboard app available on Android (IMHO) and the only one that supports auto correct and auto texts on physical keyboards (like the Motorola Droid series). I would love to use it on my tablet (Asus Transformer running Android 3.2) but there is a serious bug that renders these features unusable on external physical keyboards.

If in settings you configure General Settings > Physical Keyboard = On then on external physical keyboards the following problems occur:
* The Shift key no longer works with number or symbol keys. This means, for example, while you can enter a 4 you cannot enter a $ (Shift + 4). The same goes for punctuation. You can enter a ; but not a : (Shift + ; ). You can enter a / but not a ? (Shift + /). This severely cripples the keyboard. Entering capital letters works fine.
* The Ctrl key only partially works to perform shortcuts like Cut, Copy, Paste. Ctrl+X simply replaces the highlighted text with a capital X, but Ctrl+V will insert a capital V followed by the contents of the clipboard.

If you configure General Settings > Physical Keyboard = Off then all these problems disappear, but then you lose the auto correct and auto text features that make Smart Keyboard Pro so valuable and unique.

This problem has been mentioned many times in the forum with a variety of external keyboards on multiple different Android tablets:
* http://www.dexilog.com/smartkeyboard/fo ... rmer#p8331
* http://www.dexilog.com/smartkeyboard/fo ... rmer#p8103
* http://www.dexilog.com/smartkeyboard/fo ... rmer#p8068
* http://www.dexilog.com/smartkeyboard/fo ... rmer#p7974
* http://www.dexilog.com/smartkeyboard/fo ... oard#p8389

I would ask the developer to please look at this issue. Android tablets are becoming more common everyday and many people use external keyboards to improve their productivity. Smart Keyboard Pro could be a viable solution for them once this issue is fixed.

Still, thanks for building an awesome keyboard app for smartphones.
New Daddy

Re: Shift and Ctrl keys don't work on external physical keyb

Post by New Daddy »

So I'm not the only one having this problem.
I'm surprised the developer hasn't addressed this very serious issue.
pollostar
Phone: samsung

Post by pollostar »

If not working these button then why you not buying another keyboard because it will not repair and you can check any kind of dust are there or not you can clean up and try again to push it if it work then its good for you if not then try to take technical support.
kgragert
Phone: ASUS Transformer 101, ICS

Post by kgragert »

I am using an ASUS transformer 101 running ICS.
When using the keyboard dock, I have the same problems as the OP.
The shift key does not register when trying to use the upper charecter on the keyboard key

shift / , does not show the ? charecter etc....
New Daddy

Post by New Daddy »

pollostar wrote:If not working these button then why you not buying another keyboard because it will not repair and you can check any kind of dust are there or not you can clean up and try again to push it if it work then its good for you if not then try to take technical support.
This, obviously, is a software issue that has been totally neglected by the developer, not a hardware issue.
SeanEugene
Phone: Toshiba Thrive AT105 3.2.1

Post by SeanEugene »

Same Issue as OP on Toshiba Thrive, Android 3.2.1, which is a shame because Smart Keyboard was the closest I've found for Spell checking with physical (bluetooth) keyboard. Will go Pro if this issue could be resolved.
jjohnsonmarine

Post by jjohnsonmarine »

I previously used GOkeyboard for the spell check functionality while using my bluetooth keyboard, but the drawback to GOkeyboard is that you cannot capitalize with the shift key. Iinstalled Smart keyboard because I felt like it corrected the problem, but while I am able to capitalize with shift and use spell check, unlike the stock android keyboard with my thrive, I cannot use the shift key for symbols...not the number bar or the question mark. The caps lock doesn't work either. I might just have to go back to the stock keyboard and cary around a pocket dictionary !
jjohnsonmarine

Post by jjohnsonmarine »

I've figured out a possible workaround to the shift+ issue. I use a Kensington bluetooth keyboard that has alt+option buttons. I discovered that if I press the alt+option button before I type, I can shift select...example
3333333333333333@#$#@#$#@#$#@#$@2343222345364324345#$%345#$%#$%$#

Be advised this is a relatively crude fix...this is still a bug that should be addressed by Cyril.
New Daddy

Post by New Daddy »

Does anybody know if this issue has been resolved?
New Daddy

Post by New Daddy »

Today, I found the answer. Try MultiLing Keyboard (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... atin&hl=en). It is free, versatile and takes care of the couple of issues that Smart Keyboard had, which its developer has neglected to solve, including this very issue. With MultiLing, the shift/ctrl keys work as they are supposed to.

Goodbye Smart Keybard Pro, and welcome MiltiLing!