auto correct sometimes doesn't auto correct

You can post your bug reports here. Please include at least the app version and your phone, and any useful information.
onthecouch
Phone: Android 2.1

auto correct sometimes doesn't auto correct

Post by onthecouch »

I've noticed something very frustrating. Sometimes when typing, spk will not auto correct words that it normally would. For example if I were to type "lopking " by accident, it would normally auto correct to "looking." but sometimes it won't. If I go back to the word and purposely retype "lopking" it'll then auto correct properly to "looking." There are many other examples of this. It feels as if spk hiccups sometimes and misses certain corrections that it should otherwise get. This can happen throughout an entire message or email, so you can imagine how frustrating that can be. Is this a known issue or an issue with the phone or spk itself?

Edit: I'm on a Samsung vibrant running android 2.1.
onthecouch

Re: auto correct sometimes doesn't auto correct

Post by onthecouch »

I guess I'm the only one having this issue?
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

This used to be an issue in old versions of Smart Keyboard: when your finger slipped on a letter, some letter was displayed but the correction engine registered another one, which caused wrong predictions. However I don't see any explanation with the latest version, are you sure you are using it?
Cyril
onthecouch

Post by onthecouch »

I have version 3.2.2. As far as I know, that's the latest update.
onthecouch

Post by onthecouch »

Cyril, any developments on this? The not-auto correcting problem is persisting.

I'm also noticing a more minor issue: the backspace button sometimes isn't very responsive. I can hit it four times to erase a four-letter word, and it'll only erase 3 letters. This happens sporadically.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

There is no development on this as I don't have any idea of what is your problem... By the way is it with one or two fingers?
Cyril
onthecouch

Post by onthecouch »

I usually type with my two thumbs.
onthecouch

Post by onthecouch »

Cyril, is there anyway we can look into this? It's growing to be a real problem. Sometimes autocorrect in general just zoinks out and comes back randomly. I'll be typing and in the same sentence, it'll autocorrect mistakes, and not autocorrect mistakes, then autocorrect mistakes again. I'm guessing it's a memory issue? I'm not sure. I'm on a Vibrant running 2.1.

Any advice on how we can investigate this further?
Thanks

EDIT: If it makes any difference to know, this happens especially when writing SMS (using the stock SMS app), and Kik (this free messaging app from the Market), but it can also happen when writing out emails.

EDIT 2: Also, whenever this hiccup/lag occurs, it'll think I'm long pressing and it'll punch in symbol keys instead, and a lot of them. For example, if I'm typing "sure", it might lag on the 's' key and it'll type out "####" (which is the symbol behind 's' key).
Lidodido
Phone: HTC Wildfire, Android 2.1

Post by Lidodido »

Same issue here, made a thread but no responses, also reported a bug but no one seemed to have taken notice. It's not just that it doesn't correct the faults, the word-suggestions doesn't even show up at all sometimes. I tried recreating it and if I held down a button and pressed another one and released both very quickly it didn't work, or something like that.

Anyways, my solution was just to start typing slower unfortunately. Works better in portait-mode though, harder to hit the keys but since the keyboard seems to be faster that way it always gives me corrections. In landscape I have to take it quite patiently though.
onthecouch

Post by onthecouch »

Unfortunately, I notice that happening too - the word suggestions will randomly not come up.