auto correct sometimes doesn't auto correct

You can post your bug reports here. Please include at least the app version and your phone, and any useful information.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: auto correct sometimes doesn't auto correct

Post by cyril »

Not sure how to investigate this problem...
From the symptoms you described (happens only in landscape, if you type quickly) I'm quite sure this is related to multitouch, which is what makes it difficult to investigate as phones behave quite differently regarding multitouch. I will to reproduce anyway
Cyril
onthecouch
Phone: Android 2.1

Post by onthecouch »

Just to clarify, I never type in landscape (I have that feature turned off in my phone setting in fact). I type exclusively in portrait & normal mode.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

But are you typing with only one finger in portrait?
Cyril
onthecouch

Post by onthecouch »

Two fingers, quite quickly, which as mentioned, causes the lag.

Here are all my issues that I've experienced regularly:

-lag, hiccups, letters appearing very slowly one at at time.
-missing suggestions, which appear/reappear
-missed auto corrections (usually il will be i'll, but doesn't always get it)
-secondary symbols get pressed instead of letters. I assume this is due to and related with the lag. For example, if I type "sky" it might lag on the letter 's' and type out '#' instead, sometimes many of them, '###"
-Delete key doesn't accept every press. I've experimented before, when I know I press it four times, yet it'll only erase 3 characters.

There may be more, but these are the major ones off the top of my head.

My general details:

Samsung Vibrant, running Android 2.1, portrait, normal keys, two finger typing, disabled "show preview popup" (has helped a bit with the lag), Android skin, ENABLED Showing alt labels, auto cap, quick fix, show suggestions, auto complete, swap punctuation, space after picking, smart dictionary, suggestion punctuation, period on double space. No sound or vibrate on key press. Let me know if you need any other info.
onthecouch

Post by onthecouch »

As I said in the other thread, it would be great to turn off suggestions, yet still allow for auto correction. Suggestion seems to be the main culprit of the lag.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Can you tell me if you still have the missing auto correction problem with version 3.5.0?
I fixed another problem which is related to this one and could have the same effect (though I was not able to reproduce it)
Cyril
onthecouch

Post by onthecouch »

Thanks Cyril. I just updated to 3.5.

Upon preliminary use, Suggestions and Auto correction seems to be a little more stable/constant. Good signs. I'm still noticing lag every now and then though definitely minimized from before. And the secondary symbol key getting pressed instead of letters seems to still persist, though also not as often (eg. "5hat" will come out sometimes when trying to type "that"). All promising signs. I'll keep testing throughout the day to give you a better analysis.

One new (?) weird problem I'm noticing though is that when highlighting a word to make manual corrections, any corrections I make will be added to the word that is underlined instead. For example, if I want to type 'the sky is blue', and instead I type 'the skh is blue" and i double tap "skh" to type "sky", it'll read out as ... "the skh is bluesky" It seems to only happen with underline words - which I'm assuming means it hasn't been processed yet into the sentence. Bizarre. I don't know if this is a known issue, but just noticing it myself after the update.

EDIT: Wow, this seems to be a bigger problem than I thought. Even after clearing out an entire message using "Cut All" when I start typing, it'll re-add the underlined words. So using the same example above, if I 'Cut All' the line "sky is blue" and start typing "hello" on the cleared screen, it'll say "bluehello" Anyone else experiencing this?
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Yes the fix was worse than the problem... I fixed the fix in 3.5.1, so it should be better now
Cyril
onthecouch

Post by onthecouch »

Cyril, after a day's use, I can say the update (3.5.1) addresses many issues: The "cursor bug" is definitely gone. The suggestions and auto-corrections seem more consistent. The backspace key is better too.

The only two remaining issues are

-The occasional lag, which can still cause it to miss characters I know I pressed, especially when typing quickly. Though I have to say, it feels far less frequent now.
EDIT: The worse culprit of this is trying to type "the" in a fast message. It'll often miss the "t" and come out as "he." Unfortunately, since "he" is also a common word, I can't custom auto correct he=the. =T

-And the secondary symbol issue (secondary symbols get pressed instead of letters. I assume this is due to and related with the lag. For example, if I type "sky" it might lag on the letter 's' and type out '#' instead, sometimes many of them, '###"), but this also feels less frequent now.

Overall, a great update. You really deserve the pat on the back for your reliable support/updates. Looking forward to fixes for the priority suggestions ("yu" vs "you" etc.) and the possibility to turn off suggestions while keeping auto-corrections.

Thanks, Cyril.
hurleygurlie2388
Phone: samsung vibrant android 2.1

Post by hurleygurlie2388 »

when i first bought the keyboard the custom auto text was working fine but now it's not. i mainly use it for punctuation and for everything to be lowercase. so when i type im it should change to i'm but now it capitalizes the I : ( also, the double space for period (.) stopped working. pleeeeease help