"Physical keyboard" option and games

You can post your bug reports here. Please include at least the app version and your phone, and any useful information.
kolomeets
Phone: Motorola Milestone 2 / Android 2.2

"Physical keyboard" option and games

Post by kolomeets »

Hello,

When I enable "Physical Keyboard" option then in many games I can't use hardware keys (except "Alt" and "Shift"). If "Physical Keyboard" option is disabled then all keys in all games work as expected but obviously I can't switch between installed languages and get suggestions during input from hardware keyboard.

I've implemented a very simple Android application and checked your application in "OnKey" handler and found that if "Physical Keyboard" option is enabled and a key is hold then there are a lot of KeyDown and KeyUp events for this key (KeyDown - KeyUp - KeyDown - KeyUp and so on). So it seems that many games can miss the first KeyDown event as they got KeyUp event immediately after KeyDown event.

In case of other keyboard software which I've checked as well, there are no many repetitive KeyDown and KeyUp events. So they behave themselves like your keyboard without "Physical Keyboard" option. However they allow to switch languages during typing.

My phone is "Motorola Milestone 2" (Android 2.2). Currently I use 3.11.1 version of SmartKeyboard.

Please check this issue. Thank you very much in advance!
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: "Physical keyboard" option and games

Post by cyril »

Hello
indeed today long presses are handled as multiple keypresses, but that's something which will need to be changed anyway to support properly non-english keyboards (and display a popup with accents when you long press a key). Not sure when I will work on this..
Cyril
maklouf
Phone: HTC Desire Z Android 2.2

Post by maklouf »

Please work on this. It's annoying the fact that I can't longpress a vowel to pick a grave or circumflex accent.
Hermione
Phone: HTC Desire Z

Post by Hermione »

Yes, please do. Writing in French with the physical keyboard is very awkward without this feature.
AnaSmart
Phone: xperia pro

Post by AnaSmart »

Yes please when you can :)