space key often doesnt register

For anything else related to Smart Keyboard
dan55

space key often doesnt register

Post by dan55 »

hi all
often when I'm typing quickly I find the space key doesn't register when pressed.
this means that words are joined together and hence are incorrect.

does anyone else get this? I think it is most likely a phone issue maybe the screen sensitivity rather than SKP

cheers
dan
OldDogEyes
Phone: HTC Evo/2.2 + Rooted Nook Color/2.1

Re: space key often doesnt register

Post by OldDogEyes »

What I would suggest is to turn on the feature that shows where you are hitting the keys... Maybe you are missing it. To access that setting, long-press on the 1-2-3 key in the keyboard, go into settings and then advanced settings and check the box next to "show touch points" ...

If you find that you are missing the spacebar, you can also hide the period and comma keys automatically by enabling those features in settings / general settings. That will enlarge the spacebar.

There are two other settings that I'm not sure what they do, but might be worth investigation: "key height" under settings / general settings and "bottom padding" under settings / general settings.

Just as an aside, I find that on both of my Android devices I often have to hit something twice for it to register. And I'm not talking about text entry with SKP either... Selecting links, etc... It's almost like if I don't hit the screen hard enough and long enough, that the first touch "moves the mouse" and the second touch "clicks the mouse button"...

I dunno, haven't nailed it down yet as to what's causing it. I do know that many Android devices have the capability of calibrating the touch screen. Maybe give that a shot.

One last suggestion... If none of this helps, try some different skins and see if changing the size/placement of the space bar fixes your problem. Oh, and please do report back so others can access your feedback later if they are having the same problems.

Thanks!
Doug
dan55

Post by dan55 »

hi Doug.
thanks for the ideas. trying the touch points but they are bit crazy imo :-D

I did notice that there is a setting for keyboard padding but only for portrait mode.
this sticks some blank space under the bottom if the keyboard hence lifting it away
from edge of screen.
maybe needed for landscape too?

cheers
dan

btw. I've just typed all this in without one space issue. but other times I get lots.
odd :-\
dan55

Post by dan55 »

found those touch points too much for my eyes :-D

have got larger space key now and preview set on too.
noticed that return/enter key is worse but is used less so not so obvious
OldDogEyes
Phone: HTC Evo/2.2 + Rooted Nook Color/2.1

Post by OldDogEyes »

dan55 wrote:found those touch points too much for my eyes :-D

have got larger space key now and preview set on too.
noticed that return/enter key is worse but is used less so not so obvious
When I suggested turning on the touch points, I didn't mean forever. I meant just to use as an indicator to see if you might be missing the key even though you thought that you were hitting it. That's what I believe that feature is for... to have a visual representation of where you are touching the keyboard.
dan55

Post by dan55 »

:D ah right I get you now :)
yes I was hitting the keys ok
cheers