Documentation: ideas are welcome

For anything else related to Smart Keyboard
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Documentation: ideas are welcome

Post by cyril »

Hello all
From the mails I get or the messages on this forum, I realize that often people misunderstand features or don't even know them at all. I know the user's guide is far from being complete, but with Google Analytics I found that less than 1% of Smart Keyboard users had a look at it, so I'm not even sure it's worth investing on it. Moreover, not everyone in the world is able to read English, which makes it even more difficult to reach a large audience. I took some time to make a video tutorial, but almost nobody took the time to watch it.
I'm sure you have great ideas about how to spread the knowledge (including to non-english speaking people), so I'm listening ;) Or maybe it's enough to let Google Search do its job, but it doesn't look like ;)
Cyril
c00ller
Phone: HTC Hero CDMA

Re: Documentation: ideas are welcome

Post by c00ller »

Does Google Analytics only measure views directly from Help button in the Settings? Because I never used that link, but I referred to the guide many times on my desktop. I think the guide is great! Every setting is described, I don't know what more to improve upon it.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

No, it measures all the traffic regardless where it comes from. So you are part of this 1% ;)
Cyril
SaKeygo
Phone: HTC Evo 4g

Post by SaKeygo »

Not really sure what you can do about this problem.
One of the things I've noticed on the forum is users will often ask for features that are either already available or somewhat available. The first thing that came to mind, is to set up a "helpful tips" feature.
Speaking from personal experience, when I first started using Smart Keyboard, I didn't know that you could access the settings menu by long pressing the alt key. Perhaps putting a toast message when pressing certain keys could let users know that this feature is available. If users go to the settings menu more often, they might see what they're looking for more often.
This idea could also be applied for other keys. Having a toast message appear when hitting the enter key could say "long press on the enter key brings up smiley menu."
If someone long presses the enter key to see it, an additional toast message could show up saying "smiley menu can be customized under → General Settings → Smiley Editor".
If you do this, it would probably be a good idea to have the toast notifications easily disabled under settings and/or have them only show up two or three times - to prevent them from becoming too much of a distraction.

Another possible answer could be to have the same toast (or splash screen) messages show up while in the settings menu. When selecting something, it could give a brief description of what the feature does (in greater detail than the description included on the setting menu itself). Or, maybe have the setting have a link that could link to the user menu.
An additional option could be to include information related to another feature found elsewhere that may be of interest. If someone selects something related to something that can be found under a different menu, they could be notified at that point.
One example of this could be:
"Hide period" under General Settings menu would give a message relating to other punctuation features, such as "Suggest Punctuation" and "Period on Double Space" that is found under the Text Prediction menu. If someone selects the one, they may be interested in the other (and vice versa). It could be done something like:

Select:
[Hide Period]

Message appears:
[Additional features "Suggest Punctuation" and "Period on Double Space" can be found under Text Prediction Menu].

Then just hit okay to make the message go away (if using the splash screen)

This could also be disabled, though someone is probably not as likely to do so, since it's not as invasive as messages that appear while using the keyboard in the first example I gave.
With respect to making the settings easier to find at a glance - you could put little icons next to the feature in the settings menu:
Arrow icon for the arrow feature.
A comma icon for comma related features.
A @ icon for domain key.
A Aa icon for always capitalize.
This could also help for foreign users (to some extent hopefully).

I'm not so sure this may be all that useful, one of the great things about Smart Keyboard is all of it's options. This also has the unfortunate side effect of making it harder to find them, when someone wants to use them. You'll likely always have people who simply won't bother reading instructions, no matter what. I suppose you could use these suggestions with the features that seem to be the ones you receive the most questions on to reduce the amount of nag built into the app, as well as the amount of work to implement it.

Hopefully, someone else has a better idea. One bad aspect if this idea, is that it requires adding even more to the application at download.
The app Tasker has something like this, occasional hints and a downloadable user guide. You can also pull up a menu when on a specific screen (by hitting the menu button) that says "Help: this screen" and "User Guide a-z" that links directly to the part of the user guide that deals specifically with the "setting/task" that you're dealing with at the moment. I think Tasker has a seven day trial on the website if you want to see it. Here's a link to the web page to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. A picture is shown under "events". Maybe you could do something similar, while in settings have a menu that says "Help: About this setting" and have a downloadable user guide with links.

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/tour.html#events

This feature makes using this app significantly easier.
Hope this helps.
You could also consider something like this with one page that has all the settings from all the menus listed in alphabetical order. That way, it would be easier to see all of them at a glance.
schrochem

Post by schrochem »

Hey cyril,
I believe I briefly glanced through the user guide when I first got the keyboard, so you are probably right...
I think working on documentation is always a pita, but is always necessary especially when the product becomes more complex (i.e. more options).
Speaking for myself, the longer the user guide, the more likely I'm not going to make it through it.
I want to find the answer to a specific issue. If there isn't an index or highly detailed contents, I'll do a search. If that doesn't work, I'll just hit the 'let's figure it out routine"
I would probably suggest to expand on your FAQ. Put anything in there that you have created for a reason. Just as you explained to me in another thread about how using suggestions increases the key size, etc.
Any 'feature' you add becomes a FAQ because you thought it worthy for users.
Perhaps separate the FAQs by category so they are easy to find. This allows the user to find quickly an answer to what they are trying to accomplish. They may also learn another option along the way.
In the market I DONT have SKP on auto update. I want to do it myself so I can see your update notes. That's very important place to tell users what new features (i.e. 'try them out') are available.
I also noticed on the forum that I can't find a direct link back to your home page where all this documentation is... :)
I had to re-google skp
Your descriptions in settings is excellent as far as I'm concerned, but if there was a way to get an expanded explanation right there or even and example, that would be the best spot because that's where the user (those of us that just jump in and bypass documentation) go.If a new person downloads your product they're are gonna go straight to using it. The better understanding they get straight at settings the better odds they will continue to use it IMHO.
However, the more options a product has, the more falls on the user to learn the product, so there will be a learning curve. The more intuitive the settings the easier the curve will be. If it requires dos code input, they'll bail ;)
Anyway, just spouting out ideas for ya!
nicky041192
Phone: HTC Wildfire Official 2.2

Post by nicky041192 »

Interesting...

I didn't read the guide as I didn't really need to. I just looked at it and I personally think the guide needs to be rewritten with screenshots and in an organised manner. With a 'contents' page at the top where you can click and will take you to that section. IMO, there is too much text there and no images. I believe that not a lot of people want to read a lot of text and prefer pictures or what videos. It's nice to see you have made videos but needs commentary. I got bored after watching the first 20 seconds.

Sorry if i'm being too critical but it's all my opinion.

Here my idea of a layout:

Contents
*list of the content within the guide*
*each thing listed will link to that section^

About
Info about the keyboard. *Screenshots of the keyboard. Portrait, settings and landscape*
*perhaps videos of it in action. Nothing too long. Under 1 minute*
------------------------------------------------
Now to go through ALL the settings
Language

[Name of setting]
[What it does] [Screenhot+Short video of it in action]

keep repeating for ALL the sections.

Once the guide has finished, in the help section within the app, should be a guide section, which will ink you to this guide. Currently this will launch the site. And not the guide straight away. OR turn it into an app that can be moved to the SD and SKP will launch the guide if requested. This wil help if the user has'nt got an internet connection for the time being. But the guide needs to be written first.
-----------------------------------------------------------
SaKeygo wrote:Not really sure what you can do about this problem.
One of the things I've noticed on the forum is users will often ask for features that are either already available or somewhat available. The first thing that came to mind, is to set up a "helpful tips" feature.
Speaking from personal experience, when I first started using Smart Keyboard, I didn't know that you could access the settings menu by long pressing the alt key. Perhaps putting a toast message when pressing certain keys could let users know that this feature is available. If users go to the settings menu more often, they might see what they're looking for more often.
This idea could also be applied for other keys. Having a toast message appear when hitting the enter key could say "long press on the enter key brings up smiley menu."
If someone long presses the enter key to see it, an additional toast message could show up saying "smiley menu can be customized under → General Settings → Smiley Editor".
If you do this, it would probably be a good idea to have the toast notifications easily disabled under settings and/or have them only show up two or three times - to prevent them from becoming too much of a distraction.

Another possible answer could be to have the same toast (or splash screen) messages show up while in the settings menu. When selecting something, it could give a brief description of what the feature does (in greater detail than the description included on the setting menu itself). Or, maybe have the setting have a link that could link to the user menu.
An additional option could be to include information related to another feature found elsewhere that may be of interest. If someone selects something related to something that can be found under a different menu, they could be notified at that point.
One example of this could be:
"Hide period" under General Settings menu would give a message relating to other punctuation features, such as "Suggest Punctuation" and "Period on Double Space" that is found under the Text Prediction menu. If someone selects the one, they may be interested in the other (and vice versa). It could be done something like:

Select:
[Hide Period]

Message appears:
[Additional features "Suggest Punctuation" and "Period on Double Space" can be found under Text Prediction Menu].

Then just hit okay to make the message go away (if using the splash screen)

This could also be disabled, though someone is probably not as likely to do so, since it's not as invasive as messages that appear while using the keyboard in the first example I gave.
With respect to making the settings easier to find at a glance - you could put little icons next to the feature in the settings menu:
Arrow icon for the arrow feature.
A comma icon for comma related features.
A @ icon for domain key.
A Aa icon for always capitalize.
This could also help for foreign users (to some extent hopefully).

I'm not so sure this may be all that useful, one of the great things about Smart Keyboard is all of it's options. This also has the unfortunate side effect of making it harder to find them, when someone wants to use them. You'll likely always have people who simply won't bother reading instructions, no matter what. I suppose you could use these suggestions with the features that seem to be the ones you receive the most questions on to reduce the amount of nag built into the app, as well as the amount of work to implement it.

Hopefully, someone else has a better idea. One bad aspect if this idea, is that it requires adding even more to the application at download.
The app Tasker has something like this, occasional hints and a downloadable user guide. You can also pull up a menu when on a specific screen (by hitting the menu button) that says "Help: this screen" and "User Guide a-z" that links directly to the part of the user guide that deals specifically with the "setting/task" that you're dealing with at the moment. I think Tasker has a seven day trial on the website if you want to see it. Here's a link to the web page to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. A picture is shown under "events". Maybe you could do something similar, while in settings have a menu that says "Help: About this setting" and have a downloadable user guide with links.

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/tour.html#events

This feature makes using this app significantly easier.
Hope this helps.
You could also consider something like this with one page that has all the settings from all the menus listed in alphabetical order. That way, it would be easier to see all of them at a glance.
Doing all of this will increase the size of the app. Which many people will not like.
nicky041192

Post by nicky041192 »

As you have less than 1% users look at the guide, I personally don't think it's worth investing in BUT you do need a good up to date guide.

By any chance do you know what feature a lot of people ask help with? This might help so you can improve that section of the description for that feature within the app.There's really nothing you can do but answer the emails.

Making a PDF so people can download onto their computer and read the guide sounds like the best option. Setting up a new email address specially for help with features and set up an auto reply to download the guide?

Once the user first installs SKP, ask if they want help? And link to the guide/pdf.
nicky041192

Post by nicky041192 »

I might start to create a user guide. Create it in word with screenshots and links to sections and save as PDF. Doesn't sound hard but is really time consuming...
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Well, in a first step I think I will move the site to MediaWiki. It will make it easier to build a well-organized documentation.
As for the contents, you are right, screenshots would be welcome, and this is time consuming ;)
Cyril
nicky041192

Post by nicky041192 »

this is what I have so far. Should I continue or not?

http://www.mediafire.com/?e6b1h422fh6y0hc

won't let me upload .doc files.

I will need to proof read ;)

Instead of a wiki page,IMO i think it will be more useful to have a downloadable guide. It will make it easier for the user to view and can take it with them anywhere without accessing the web page.

EDIT: They may not be hi res screenshots but i only have a QVGA resolution device. But I think the size works well the the guide. Not too big and not too small.