custom words in dictionary

For anything else related to Smart Keyboard
fporta
Phone: HTC Evo

custom words in dictionary

Post by fporta »

Am upgrading to HTC Evo to send in orders for my company. Have many part numbers that have / and # symbols. The user dictionary app that comes with the Evo will not allow these symbols to be entered. Will Smart Keyboard allow this? Any suggestions?
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: custom words in dictionary

Post by cyril »

Hello
you can put symbols in the user dictionary of smart keyboard, as long as the words do not start with a symbol (so "order#1234" will work), however I don't really understand why you would want to put this in the user dictionary ;)
Maybe what you need is custom auto text, don't you?
Cyril
fporta
Phone: HTC Evo

Re: custom words in dictionary

Post by fporta »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Maybe you're correct with needing a custom auto text of some kind. I'm upgrading from a Palm Treo with CIC Word Complete. I've got it set to nominate up to ten possible part numbers in a pop up screen after keying only two letters. I can write an order in the field very quickly, and would like to do something similar with the Evo. The various part numbers usually have one or more elements consisting of the -,/,and # symbols as well as spaces between some of the number and letter characters. Any suggestions?