Problem Switching Input Methods

For anything else related to Smart Keyboard
T_1_M
Phone: HTC J (ISW13HT)

Problem Switching Input Methods

Post by T_1_M »

Just switched from iPhone to Android. Love it!

However Im having keyboard trouble. How do you switch from Smart Keyboard Pro to another keyboard (input method)???
I have tried holding the input area in the screen, it only shows "copy"
I have tried holiding the bottom left keyboad icon, it only shows smart keyboard pro settings

Other notes:
* In Google Japanese Keyboard I can change to Smart Keyboard Pro by holding down the bottom left keyboard icon and selecting input method and then SKP.
* Yes I have downloaded the Japanese keyboad for SKP but it is terrible (its like using a non-predictive english keyboard)

Really appreciate your help
TheTehk17
Phone: Samsung Moment, Acclaim, and Galaxy S

Re: Problem Switching Input Methods

Post by TheTehk17 »

Settings<Language and Keyboard.
Skins
glowkey (multiple colors & two styles): http://bit.ly/mszole
MIUI_black (webOS skin, three different styles): http://bit.ly/kVRwdt

You can also find me on the SDX forums: http://bit.ly/mnwjU3
T_1_M

Post by T_1_M »

Ofcourse this is an option. However this is not a user friendly solution.
I am often changing between languages in one email, so going into the settings menu is not a good solution.
I would have thought Android would have a keyboard solution as good as the iphones, am I wrong?
DavidR
Phone: Samsung Stratosphere, Android 2.3

Post by DavidR »

T_1_M wrote:Just switched from iPhone to Android. Love it!

However Im having keyboard trouble. How do you switch from Smart Keyboard Pro to another keyboard (input method)???
I have tried holding the input area in the screen, it only shows "copy"
I'm surprised that long-pressing the text input area doesn't bring up an option called "Input method." Try different types of text input areas (sms messaging, search, e-mail) to see if you can get this option in one of them. Tapping on "Input method" will bring up a list of the keyboard apps installed on your phone, and you can select the one you want. It will then apply everywhere on the phone until you change it again.
T_1_M

Post by T_1_M »

I had a bit more of a play around and figures it out. This must be a feature of the HTC skin.
First I have to select in the the text field
Next I have to pull down the notification bar.
The notification bar shows the ongoing process of "select keyboard input method"

Man you have to love the inconsistencies across the different android devices. Completely reminds me of why I gave up Linux.

I tried out windows mobile yesterday and it was buttery smooth. Next phone will definately be windows mobile. As long as they are still selling it!!!