Google Warning About Smartkeyboard Pro - passwords, etc.

For anything else related to Smart Keyboard
libertyloudspeaker
Phone: Motorola droid 2.1

Google Warning About Smartkeyboard Pro - passwords, etc.

Post by libertyloudspeaker »

Question is for cyril/Smart Keyboard Pro

Concerned about Google's warning regarding SmartKeyboard Pro's potential access to passwords, credit card #'s, etc. Under your products FAQ you state not to worry and that this is a standard response. What means do you have to prove this and make those who have privacy concerns at ease? Or perhaps you can link to something from Google which explains this is a standard response? I would think that Google could easily determine those keyboards apps which actually do transmit personal info as you type and that they would only display this warning for those apps you should be concerned. Not questioning your ethics just alarmed over Google warning when installing.

I know of many android users who refuse to install a keyboard app because of what I state above. I also know of a few users who have uninstalled after they received the warning message from Google. You could gain even more paid users of this app if you could refer to something more concrete than what is stated in your FAQ section:

"Does it really collect my passwords? No! This is a standard Android warning displayed each time you install a replacement keyboard. This application doesn’t use the “INTERNET ACCESS” permission, so don’t worry".

Thank you for addressing this. Tried your SmartKeyboard app and it is EXCELLENT . Will keep it installed if you can address the privacy concern. Thank you.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Google Warning About Smartkeyboard Pro - passwords, etc.

Post by cyril »

Hello

there is a security system in Android which precisely exists so that users don't need to "trust" the developer. If the app has "Internet access" permission (which you can easily check when you install it), it means it can send any data on the network, if it doesn't have this permission, it means it cannot do it (otherwise the app will crash).
So people should be worried only if a keyboard app has this permission. And of course if it needs this permission for some good reason (but Smart Keyboard doesn't), it doesn't mean that it will send private data on internet, it just means it has the right to do it, then you would indeed need to trust the app.

About the security warning, it has been added by Google because keyboard apps are very sensitive, and the user must be aware of the privacy concern. However this warning is displayed for all third party keyboards, regardless of their permissions (like "Internet Access").
If you want a proof, I can only show you the source code of the "Settings" app, which displays this warning:

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platfo ... ;hb=eclair

Code: Select all

private boolean isSystemIme(InputMethodInfo property) {
        return (property.getServiceInfo().applicationInfo.flags
                & ApplicationInfo.FLAG_SYSTEM) != 0;
    }

if (isSystemIme(imi)) {
                            // This is a built-in IME, so no need to warn.
                            mLastTickedInputMethodId = id;
                            return super.onPreferenceTreeClick(preferenceScreen, preference);
                        }
which means the warning is not displayed only when you select a system keyboard (i.e installed in the "/system" partition, i.e shipped with the phone firmware) in the language and keyboard settings.

Hope this is enough proof. I will link the FAQ to this post
Cyril