Does SKP need to be optimized for Gingerbread?

For anything else related to Smart Keyboard
onthecouch
Phone: Android 2.1

Does SKP need to be optimized for Gingerbread?

Post by onthecouch »

Better Keyboard Beta 8 just opened and is touted to be optimized for Gingerbread -- whatever that means. Which leads me to ask, does SKP need to be "optimized" for Gingerbread, as well? I ask because SKP works marvelously on my old Samsung Vibrant (running 2.1), but isn't as responsive or reliable on my Nexus S (2.3.1): it can miss letters and most commonly, misses the space bar, resulting in words like tis or ths, or likethis.

I'm no developer, so I apologize if it's an ignorant question, but does/will SKP need to be more optimized for GB to get it running as nicely as it does on a Vibrant?
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Does SKP need to be optimized for Gingerbread?

Post by cyril »

Well, I'm not sure either what that could mean ;) I will check the keyboard behavior on GingerBread once Google has released an official ROM for the Nexus One (I don't work to work on test ROMs, as the problem may come from the ROM itself and not from the keyboard)
Cyril
onthecouch

Post by onthecouch »

cyril wrote:Well, I'm not sure either what that could mean ;) I will check the keyboard behavior on GingerBread once Google has released an official ROM for the Nexus One (I don't work to work on test ROMs, as the problem may come from the ROM itself and not from the keyboard)
Thank you Cyril. Looking forward to the results!
onthecouch

Post by onthecouch »

I'm regrettably going have to switch to Better Keyboard 8 to meet my typing needs. I appreciate the support and communication, Cyril, for trying to find out the reason why SKP doesn't run as smoothly and responsively on Android 2.3 Nexus S. Alas, it seems the problems can't be recreated by you, and I know it's not my imagination. BK8 and the stock keyboard respond far more reliably than SKP does (again, prone to missed keys and space bar hits -- I have no idea why). Something is amiss and I can't put my finger out on it, but I know it has something to do with how SKP runs on Android 2.3 because SKP runs perfectly on my Vibrant running 2.1.

I tried to stick it out with SKP for my most favorite feature: custom auto-correction, but even with it, the typing experience has become too frustrating to stay with SKP. I look forward to future updates, if you should ever discover anything new regarding SKP on Android 2.3.

Thanks again.