Auto-correct problems....

For anything else related to Smart Keyboard
greycobalt
Phone: Droid X

Auto-correct problems....

Post by greycobalt »

So this keyboard is amazing. It makes everything I thought was annoying me about the standard keyboard perfect again. Except the auto correct.

At first I thought it was because I didn't install the English keyboard, but once I did, it still doesn't work. It won't correct any common words or mistakes associated with them. "teh" will not turn into "the", "hepl" will not be "help", etc. Any idea why this might be? I'd really like to get it working, as that feature would complete the awesomeness of the app.

I'm using a Droid X running 2.3.340.
dan55

Re: Auto-correct problems....

Post by dan55 »

hi
had this once before and it turned out to be a bad
install. fixed it by re installing.

good luck
Dan
greycobalt

Post by greycobalt »

Thanks for your response! I just tried uninstalling the software and the dictionary and reinstalling and its still a no-go. :( Any other ideas?
dan55

Post by dan55 »

sorry to hear that. try it with the learn new words
option turned off it it is on currently.
greycobalt

Post by greycobalt »

Turned that off too, no dice. :( This makes me sad. I love this keyboard.
dan55

Post by dan55 »

bummer :-( can only think it is a Droid/SKP issue
greycobalt

Post by greycobalt »

Major bummer! :( I mistype FAR too frequently to not have that issue. It's super easy to fat-finger the keyboard. Any recommendation on another app like this I can try out? Maybe see if another works.
dan55

Post by dan55 »

have you tried swype or slide it?
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

greycobalt wrote:At first I thought it was because I didn't install the English keyboard, but once I did, it still doesn't work. It won't correct any common words or mistakes associated with them. "teh" will not turn into "the", "hepl" will not be "help", etc. Any idea why this might be? I'd really like to get it working, as that feature would complete the awesomeness of the app.
Do you have other examples? For me "teh" is always corrected to "the" (and it has to, because there is a builtin autotext to replace teh by the), but that's true "hepl" is not replaced by "help"... You told about "fat-fingering" the keyboard, which is normally well handled, but the examples you gave are letter permutations, which is something different and harder to correct. Have you tried to increase the height of the keys, and have you used the calibration tool?
Cyril
onthecouch
Phone: Android 2.1

Post by onthecouch »

Also, custom auto-corrections is by far the most valuable feature SKP has over other keyboards. Put it to use and actively add to it. For example, if you find you are constantly typing help as hepl, make a custom auto correction for hepl = help. That way, anytime you type hepl, it'll always get changed to help.

Unless you mean the auto corrections themselves aren't working altogether.

Custom Auto Corrections is the feature saving me from what seems to be slowdown with Gingerbread, and thus a lot of typos.