Create your own skins

This is where you can share and download open skins for Smart Keyboard!
onthecouch
Phone: Android 2.1

Re: Create your own skins

Post by onthecouch »

Regardless, great skins to start us all off with, Zen.

Question to all and Cyril... does applying these skins do anything to the overall performance - specifically in terms of lag? Because I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not, and it'll probably require more testing, but since 3.5.1 update, the lag has been minimized I noticed (though still existent), but since applying these skins, I notice the lag coming back.

Thankfully, the damage isn't so bad, and it still registers my presses, it just comes out on screen very slowly.

Is it the skin, or just normal lag issues? Any ideas, guys?
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

onthecouch wrote:Question to all and Cyril... does applying these skins do anything to the overall performance - specifically in terms of lag?
I don't think it can have an impact on performance except when the skin is loaded for the first time, as reading from SD card and decoding the images takes more time than with the built-in skins. However it should not impact anything afterwards.
Cyril
onthecouch
Phone: Android 2.1

Post by onthecouch »

That's good to know, Cyril. Thanks. Then I guess it's just regular ol' lag on my phone ><
Link

Post by Link »

cyril wrote:
onthecouch wrote:Question to all and Cyril... does applying these skins do anything to the overall performance - specifically in terms of lag?
I don't think it can have an impact on performance except when the skin is loaded for the first time, as reading from SD card and decoding the images takes more time than with the built-in skins. However it should not impact anything afterwards.
I have noticed a lag as well and not just the first time and believe it to be related to reading from the SD card. You have any suggestions for an installation process so they can be stored on the phone?

-Link
- Link
angela
Phone: nokia

Post by angela »

I wanna like to create my own iphone skin...but i have no any idea about creating skins...please can anyone provide me complete information for creating iphone skin step by step so i have not to face any problem while creating skin.thanks

http://www.decalskin.com/
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Link wrote:I have noticed a lag as well and not just the first time and believe it to be related to reading from the SD card. You have any suggestions for an installation process so they can be stored on the phone?
At the moment it's not possible to store on the internal flash. However I really doubt that lags during normal usage of the keyboard can be due to the skin stored on the SD card, as when the skin is loaded, it's then stored entirely in memory and the flash is never read until the keyboard process is restarted (which should not happen often unless you are really low on resources on your phone)
Cyril
Link

Post by Link »

cyril wrote:
Link wrote:I have noticed a lag as well and not just the first time and believe it to be related to reading from the SD card. You have any suggestions for an installation process so they can be stored on the phone?
At the moment it's not possible to store on the internal flash. However I really doubt that lags during normal usage of the keyboard can be due to the skin stored on the SD card, as when the skin is loaded, it's then stored entirely in memory and the flash is never read until the keyboard process is restarted (which should not happen often unless you are really low on resources on your phone)
I agree but the reason i think it is related is when you dock your phone to the computer over usb it unmounts the SD card and if you launch a search with the keyboard, the skin is gone. So it seems to be loading the skin every time the keyboard is launched and hence the lag. If i switch back to a built in skin, the lag is gone and no load time.

-Link
- Link
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Good point, the keyboard is killed when the SD card is mounted/unmounted, which will cause a reload of the skin (and a failure when the SD card is mounted)
Cyril
psxgamer
Phone: Galaxy S

Post by psxgamer »

Galaxy S -models have sold over five million:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/06/sams ... nation-pl/

I think there might be a lot of us who would appreciate Galaxy S skin on Smart Keyboard.
zen

Post by zen »

Cyril, I've noticed that the png asset for <shift-locked> isn't being loaded when activated. Instead, the same asset for <shift> is being loaded for both states (locked and normal)